Breastfeeding Org.

We LOVE Time Mag Cover,

Except ...

5/10/2012 3:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Time magazine cover with breastfeeding
The 3-year-old kid suckling from his mother's teet on the cover of Time Magazine is NOT too old to breastfeed ... so says a powerful breastfeeding organization -- but they do have one gripe.

TMZ spoke with Bettina Forbes -- co-founder of Best for Babes -- an advocacy group dedicated to educating moms about breastfeeding.

Forbes tells us, "We understand that Americans are uncomfortable with [the Time cover], but in cultures where babies wean themselves normally, usually somewhere around age 3 or 4, it is perfectly acceptable."

She adds, "Think of it this way -- some cultures have been drinking green tea for millennia, only recently has it become popular in the United States once the health benefits were understood and it was popularized by marketing ... breastfeeding is the same, it is accepted and valued in many cultures, but not yet fully in the U.S."

As for the gripe -- Forbes says her first choice would have been Jennifer Garner in the role of breastfeeder ... but "we're happy with anything that is an appealing image, provokes conversation, and ultimately desensitizes people to breastfeeding."

Cujeaux

I'll never buy TIME ever again. That's not a 3 year old. Even if it was it's a disgusting display got the cover of a news magazine. SHAME.

maria

Those groups called La Leche and this one are totally radicals they can't hear nothing negative about breastfeeding ,that is why they agree with this despicable photo!

trotcantorgallup

Just trying to save sagging sales, oops

Pudding Tang

tasteless in time

Woot

Why is Forbes reminding us that in other cultures it's "perfectly acceptable" to breast feed at 3-4 years old when TIME is an American mag?

Wanda

Am I the only one here that thinks it's okay to breastfeed until the age of about 3? It worked for me and my kids. I don't think there's anything extreem about it. I was planning on stopping at the age of 1, but my babies clearly weren't ready to stop yet, and that was fine with me. However, I would never pose on a magazine with my child in a country where it's not accepted.

cam

I cannot believe how many people think this is a bad thing. woman in Brazil usually breastfeed until the child it 5. I don't know why everything has to be such a big damn deal. It's a normal part of life for many people. The reason the photograph is on the cover is to get people talking. Good job TIME.

SheisHot

Love this cover!

SheisHot

I'll have what he's having!

Julie2

I'm with everyone else who noticed that kid is NOT 3, unless he's a husky 3 and standing on a stool. He looks more like 6 or so. I teach kids this age and even if he were 3, it's still too old. Nursing beyond a certain point is not for the children. It's for their needy parents to satisfy some emptiness of their own. It's damaging to the child and, truthfully, borders on inappropriate...like that photo! Makes me ill looking at it. Seriously, teeth are a sign in nature to stop breastfeeding. Most animals, including most humans, kick babies off the teat when they develop teeth. With teeth come the need to chew and exercise the jaw, and that hurts mom, the universal sign to STOP...bit bleeding nipples. And if you don't believe this damages children, your head's up your butt. I just can't beleive they'd stoop so low to sell a magazine.

JJ

Maybe she didn't have any milk money for the kid's lunch.
How old is that Kid?? 7?

Bob

That kid is 3 like Courtney Stodden is 17.

CelebJustice

I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding. However, This cover does nothing to promote positive conversation or does it "desensitize" people.
Had they used an infant on the cover and used this picture on the inside it would have garnered a more positive conversation.
They fact that they are looking to "provoke" a conversation is rather interesting and ultimately will do the cause more harm then good.

Bitchmaster

She must not be American. Otherwise she would be 300 pounds plus and will look like Gary Busey!

Grumpinmcpunkkin

I have nothing nice to say about this so I am going to go gouge my eyes out, throw up and curl up in a ball in a corner and hope I can somehow burn that image out of my head.