Dan Harmon

Out as Showrunner of 'Community'

5/19/2012 4:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0519_dan_harmon_getty_community
It's not the darkest timeline for "Community" fans, but it's close -- creator Dan Harmon is out as showrunner after Sony Pictures Television opted not to renew his contract.

Sony had clashed with Harmon for quite sometime, reports Vulture, so the news did not come as a total shock. Harmon's most publicized dust-up was with one of the show's stars, Chevy Chase, which included Harmon playing an obscenity-laced voicemail Chase had left for him to a room full of people.

Harmon blogged last night that he learned the news the same way everyone else did, via press release. In fact, Harmon said he hasn't even so much as spoken to Sony since NBC renewed the show for a fourth season last week.

He wrote, "Do not believe anyone that tells you on Monday that I quit or diminished my role so I could spend more time with my loved ones, or that I negotiated and we couldn’t come to an agreement, etc. It couldn’t be less true because, just to make this clear, literally nobody called me."

Inspector Spacetime could not be reached for comment.

Mels

Why is NBC trying to kill this show??? Leave it alone and leave it brilliant.

LawBreiter

I know Inspector Spacetime, let me know if you want to reach him @sivart

ExtraKetchup

Sony/NBC = ASSHATS!! They are such cowards, and stupid ones at that. Why not be merciful and just cancel it now, rather than letting it die in the most slow, agonizing way possible? The fans just wanted a full third season and at least a fitting end to it, and that's what we got. Now they're just dragging sh-t out. Giving it a 13 episode final season order, unfairly canning its creator, moving it to Friday night (death slot)? Really unfortunate.

NG

Add on Brad Garrett and his wife/neighbours from Til Death.

If things show is going to go down in flames it should do so all out - Til Death was the biggest failure in the last few years and it'd be great for this show to go out in style.

eicarr

This is great news! Glad Sony has finally done something right. Although I'm sure Chevy Chase will be heartbroken, he'll get over it in a week or so.

Kyle

What about Constable Reggie? Did anybody try to get in touch with him?

Stiletto

Never watched the show...in fact, I've never even heard of it. Chevy Chase has not been funny in over 20 years...he even sucked like a Hoover at his on CC roast.

NominallyNotYours

I hope those anti-Semitic, NBC Nuremberg dodgers have a sense of humor. hehe.

You'll do better things Dan. Community is great, but it's just a silly television show. The crew will survive, so will you.

Go **** your wife, in the ass for the first time if you're feeling adventurous, and create a new world for us to get lost in .... on CBS!

Tammy

I guess Chevy won!

Keyser Söze

The only good thing I got from that post: obviously, the TMZ crew are big fans, which prove their good taste in comedy.

Leonard likes that post.

Bobo Frog

Boycott NBC. Community was the last decent thing on that network, and they have destroyed it, like they do to anything with quality and soul.

Metta Worldhate

That show used to be awesome, but has gotten much worse. Still, both paintball episodes and the D&D episodes really, really great. We'll miss you, buddy. Probably time to kill the show.

Bridget

What is it with tv networks. It's like as soon as viewers and critics come together to say "hey we really like this show" they have to do something to destroy it instead of nurturing it.

They seem to think to themselves, oh they like it so lets find new writers, go with a different formula and change the crew while we are at it.

So Chevy and Dan don't get along. There are plenty of people that don't like other people in the work place, but they muddle through it to get the job done.

And a friday timeslot? Are they moving Grimm? Cause those two shows don't really fit.

The only way they could be more blantant they were trying to get rid of the show is if they killed off Jeff, Troy and Abed.

spyseagullrobot

good ridence. he's discusting and talentless and a pig. Chevy Chase is an icon. I hope he never works again.

Mrs. B

I am tired of everyone blaming Chevy Chase. I am sure Mr. Chase did NOT want this done to Harmon. In fact, I believe Chase could have gone on working with Harmon like the professional that he is. We have NO idea WHAT was going on behind the scenes with Harmon and the Execs. So I wish people would STOP blaming Chevy Chase. Thank you.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments