'Chernobyl Diaries'

Horror Flick RIPPED By

Victim Support Group

5/21/2012 5:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0518_chernobyl_foccus
The new Jesse McCartney horror flick "Chernobyl Diaries" is a slap in the face to the 400,000 victims of the real-life nuclear disaster ... so says a Chernobyl recovery organization.

For those unfamiliar with the Chernobyl disaster ... (shame on you if you're one of them) ... scores of people were killed or disfigured when the nuclear power plant exploded in the Ukraine in 1986.

0518_chernobyl_getty_aftermath

Now, the Friends of Chernobyl Centers U.S. tells TMZ ... it's furious with the plot of the new movie -- in which several people who were mutated in the blast hunt down unwitting tourists.

"It is terrible that such a tragic event as Chernobyl is being sensationalized in a Hollywood horror film," a rep for the org tells us.

"Thousands of people have died and over 400,000 people were evacuated from their homes. Today over 5 million people still live on contaminated land.  The horror is not mutants running around, the real horror is the effect that Chernobyl continues to have on the lives of millions who have been devastated physically, emotionally and economically."

The rep adds, " If you feel compelled to go see this movie, take the adrenalin you get from the horror to go do something good and make a difference in the lives of those still living with Chernobyl every day."

Shane!

God, there is a group for everything now. Why can't these people just keep their opinions to theirselves and discuss it in their "Groups".

I could careless about stupid groups like PETA, FOCCUS, NAACP, GLAAD, etc.

We get it, you have opinions, you get mad at stuff, you want things to change. WHO CARES!!!!!

The World is what it is, we don't need groups for everything.

Where was FOCCUS when 'Destination Truth' on the SyFy channel did a ghost hunt of this place a couple of years ago. Same basic premise and Destination Truth did the exact same thing they are doing in this movie.

MJ

I thought that it was insensitive when I saw the commercials. They should have just used a fictional scenerio.

lindon

What about films like Hotel Rwanda, United 93, Unstoppable, Pearl Harbor, Titanic, The Hindenburg, The Perfect Storm, Apollo 13....what about horror movies like Zodiac, From Hell, The Girl Next Door/An American Crime, Helter Skelter, The Strangers, etc. All of these movies have been based on actual events and all of them deal with victims of an incredible trauma. True, some of them are more sensitive to the victims' cir***stances than others, but all of them have SOMETHING to say about the situation, something about survival, resiliency, the nature of human beings, etc. Maybe the film turns out to be a tasteless attempt to cash in on a tragedy...or maybe there's something more to it (personally, I'm desperately hoping it's the latter). This film is a work of FICTION and doesn't claim that the actual events OF THE FILM are true. No one will really know how the actual Chernobyl event itself will be handled and depicted until the film is released.

Sal

I am so tired of these groups always getting pissed off about tv shows, films and books, they are works of fiction, if they put as much time and energy into the actual people who are effected by this than boycotting there wouldn't be a need to have to protest dumb ****

Shane!

But I say these groups that b!tch are the ones who make them popular and make them money.
If I hear something is contraversial, I'm right on top of it and spending my money on it cause I'm sick of the Disney channel straight laced sh!t. Not everything in this World has to be sensitive and just for chilrden.
It's life and if we can show life the real way it is, then what's the point.

BB not bb

Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it. So it is important to know about Chernoble while living in the nuclear age. It is still not safe to eat mushrooms from eastern Eurpope from the ground contamination according to one expert. This is important information for human survival.

There are plenty of movies and stars in bad taste. I just don't waste time on them. Those who like that stuff will watch it so I leave it to them. Sometimes what seems in bad taste actually turns out to have its own merits, so I would give this movie a chance or at least not let it bother you. I don't think there is a campaign in Hollywood to abuse Chernoble victims.

It is one thing to be shocked and offended but another to lose all sense of reality over it. I don't see this film as doing much harm to Eastern Europe.

I think that new Dictator movie looks very offensive but I don't do much but take note of it and pass it on by.

emmet jablonski

Come on people, It's a movie!

emmet jablonski

It's a movie people. Don't see it if you have a problem with the plot.

Lasha

Ukraine, not THE Ukraine, remember that the next time you to to THE Italy. sigh...

cynical me

To all you people who are boo hoo'ing over this because it was an actual event and Hollywood turned it into a horror story, get over it.
I don't whine and complain about movies that depict Indian burial grounds as the cause of the families horrible situations. I don't cry because some movies show Native Americans as blood thirsty savages.
It's a movie, get over it. Move on with your life, there are more things to worry about than some cheesetastic horror movie.

Mike

Seems to me, rather than go with the whole 'Hill Have Eyes radiation survivors hunting people down' motif that has been done to death and sometimes offends people, they had used the fact that symptoms of radiation sickness include being paranoid and hallucinations. Rather than have them hunted down by mutated survivors, they're not being hunted at all. It's all in their heads as they slowly die of sickness. Just the way I'd do it.

Jeffro

So the STALKER pc game doesn't count? Only movies offend?

ang4114

Its only a horror film, why would any one crack up , they make most movies on true events , and what about most movies they are making these days all doom and gloom , the end of the world Yes for sure chernobyl is very sad to all people affected but i belive if you dont want to see it dont up to people who want to watch it . And its not on true events anyway just like any other town that is abandond whould be a perfect place for a horror film cant wait to see it

Gloria

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is sacred in Hollywood. Please, don't think Hollywood represents the entire US of A ! And please know, that those of us whos ancestors have fought and died for our country, our freedom, are not represented by those who claim to be Americans! Our thoughts, and prayers were, and are still with you!!

kelly