Richard Dawson

Dead at 79

6/3/2012 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

0603_richard-dawson_getty
Richard Dawson, the legendary host of "Family Feud," has died from complications due to esophageal cancer ... this according to his son.

Gary Dawson posted a Facebook message early this morning that read:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered..."

Dawson hosted "Feud" from 1976-1985, and then from 1994-1995. He was also famous for being a regular on "The Match Game" and for appearing in the classic Arnold Schwarzenegger action film "The Running Man."  One of his biggest roles -- Dawson played Capt. Peter Newkirk on "Hogan's Heros," a wildly popular show in the 60's.

0603_richard_dawson_running_man_sun

Dawson was married to Gretchen Johnson ... interesting fact -- he met her when she was part of a contestant family on The Feud and got hitched in 1991. Dawson was famous during the first run of the show for kissing all the female contestants -- he was known as "The Kissing Bandit."  But in the second run, he kissed no one -- a promise he made to Gretchen.

Prior to Gretchen, Dawson was married to Diana Dors, a sex symbol back in the day. They had 2 sons.

Steve Harvey, the current host of "Family Feud," tweeted today, "I have been Blessed because of Richard Dawson's work ...the birth of Family Feud. God Bless You Sir- You Were The Best"

0603_REMEMBERING-RICHARD-DAWSON_Small-Photo-Launch_2

Dawson in his final episode hosting "Family Feud" in 1985 (before returning 10 years later).

cowgirl

This is so sad. My favorite game show host of all time. I still watch reruns of the Feud because he cracks me up. He will be missed.

Jay W.

Thanks for the memories ! RIP Richard.

Blue

Loved him in Hogan's Hero's, he was the reason I watched family feud, and he made the movie "Running Man" RIP Mr. Dawson, you were one of my favorites.

Grouchy Marps

He's forcibly french kissing peoples' wives in heaven now.

KnuckleDragger

"He will be missed but always remembered..."

I agree. Richard was truly unabashed and unique.

Minnetonka40

Awww. That made me sad to hear that. I was just a kid watching him kiss all those ladies! I thought he was such a flirt.

mikeh420

RIP Cpl. Peter Newkirk RAF

Rodney

Had a long life...

Sean Kelly

He wasn't a Captain on Hogan's Heroes, he was a Corporeal. Cpl means Corporeal not Captain.

Anthony B

He was CPL. Newkirk, not CAPT.

Samuel Miller

I'm a disabled person with an interest in Disability Studies. I'm very saddened to learn of the death of Richard Dawson. "Family Feud" was one of the first game shows to feature a physically disabled person as a contestant.

As I recall, she was a young, attractive female amputee who had lost a leg and walked with the aid of aluminum crutches. She wore a long skirt. Richard Dawson gave her a lovely introduction.

Annie

RIP Richard! Lots of happy memories watching you while i was growing up : )

paul

I think it was Cpl not capt. but always enjoyed his talents

leanne greathouse

my fav family feud was when the lady was asked"in what month can you tell a woman is preg. and she said september. Richard had to stop and fell on the floor laughing. great moment in t.v.

Larry