Amber Portwood

Overdose Attempt

Drove Me to Prison

6/7/2012 7:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

060712_portwood_gma_splash
"Teen Mom" star Amber Portwood had become so depressed in her rehab program she tried to overdose on pills -- and that's what drove her to quit drug treatment entirely ... entering prison instead.

A shackled Amber spoke with "Good Morning America" ... claiming, "I had taken 30 Suboxone [a drug used to treat opioid addictions] within 3 days. The depression took over. I would take 4 or 5 at a time."

Amber said, "I felt like I'd rather do my time and get it over with, and make the best of a situation that's been handed to me." Amber was sentenced to five years earlier this week.

She added, "I'm not just going to sit. I'm going to do substance abuse classes. I'm going to get my GED."

Still doesn't make any sense -- Amber had been given the opportunity to receive out-patient drug treatment ... WITHOUT PRISON ... but she chose prison anyway.

solcitobonito

outside world +a crazy addiction to opiates +doing drug treatment while in the public eye= worse hell any human can possibly experience ....mandatory prison sentence = hell of a lot easier for an addict trying to get through opiate jones... she will get out once she serves 80% of her time and will have a fresh start. Which, it seems to me, she desperately needs.

O_o

once she realizes that this was not a situation that was "handed to" her, and that she actually did this to herself, she might have a fighting chance. until then, lock her up and hope that she finds god, or whatever those kids are finding these days, behind prison walls.

Jodi D

this is really sad that she cant even put her daughter Leah first and once again only thinks about herself.

solcitobonito

she will do better in there. Opiate addiction is the hardest one to kick.. she will get out after serving 80% of her sentence and have a new beginning, which she so desperately needs.. I pray for her and her child.

Big D

Maybe she trying to get street credit. I blame TV, they should of took her off the air at the first sign of trouble. But they only care about ratings.

dd

Good for her!

Olivia

Lets get one thing straight. The situation wasn't handed to her, she choose it. Everything SHE did landed her to where is so lets not pretend shes just had bad luck. She still isnt even taking responsibility for what she did. Also this is the most selfish thing I have ever seen. To pick 5 years in jail instead of going through rehab so you could not miss 5 years of your childs life. If you cant do it for yourself thats one thing, but when you have a child. Thats pathetic.

Marvin

Well you people are just expecting too much from this girl. Gee Whiz, she doesn't have her GED, how would she know that 30 pills is bad.

VIDGMER

Miss Portwood is still a very attractive woman!

babygirlsnonnie

I hope she can get it together. Since the REAL WORLD was to hard to cope with, maybe REAL HARD TIME will wake her up!?!?

pragmatist

This makes perfect sense. Opiate recidivism is over 90% for rehab shorter than 1 year. She wants to get AWAY from opiates for a LONG time. She knows prison will provide that, and provide a degree of stability. To anyone that understands opiate abusers, this will make perfect sense. Just getting over Post Acute WIthdrawal Syndrome will take a year. Perhaps years.

VERN

What a complete and utter IDIOT! Try not taking a drug with a CEILING EFFECT if you're trying to "off" yourself. Dummy. Talk about a cry for help.

quita

Why is she on Good Morning America?!?!?! Does America really want to see her, especially that early in the morning.

yerppi3

Never want to hear Harvey say again that Lindsay "didn't get away with her crimes because of her fame and money". Lindsay has broken the law far more times than this chick and the most she saw in a jail cell was 2 weeks. And even that was after repeated probation violations and illegal drug use. This chick isn't rich and not even famous so of course she'll be locked up for years.

CriticXtreme

It's all good TV and I smell a reality show if the world doesn't reboot on 12.21.2012.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments