Ashton Kutcher Sues

The DMV Sabotaged

My Reality Show

6/20/2012 3:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0620_ashton_kutcher_california_dmv_article
Ashton Kutcher is trying to squeeze blood from a stone ... 'cause his production company is suing the broke-ass State of California for $1.4 mil ... after the DMV allegedly backed out of a reality show deal.

In the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, Kutcher's Katalyst Media -- which produced "Punk'd" and "Beauty and the Geek" -- claims it inked a deal with the CA DMV back in 2010 to participate in a reality show that would "capture the variously humorous, emotional, dramatic, moving, humanizing and entertaining situations that arise on a daily basis" at the DMV.

In fact, Katalyst claims it hammered out a "formal written agreement" with the DMV to shoot footage in the summer and fall of 2011. The deal called for 4 initial episodes with an option of 6 more.

Katalyst claims it spent hundreds of thousands of dollars gearing up for the show -- only to get a 5-sentence letter from a DMV honcho 6 weeks later ... trying to back out of the deal.

According to the suit, the DMV honcho said the project wouldn't be in the DMV's "best interests."

Obviously, Katalyst is pissed -- and wants at least $1.44 million to make things right.

Beef with the DMV? Get in line ...

Majestik

Sorry, I don't like Ashton but if his production company inked a deak and they have a signed contract with the DMV, well, too bad, DMV needs to pay. You can't sign a contract, back out and not expect to pay for it.

Jay W.

"reality show that would "capture the variously humorous, emotional, dramatic, moving, humanizing and entertaining situations that arise on a daily basis" at the DMV."

Who the f..k would want to watch that?

RAFAEL LESADODOVICH

POOR ASHTON! HE USED DEMI FOR HIS OWN CAREER ADVANCEMENT! WHAT A *****

joecrabs

Thank You!!!! Thank You California DMV for whatever you did to make this pile of garbage not happen. Hey Ashton, it's not 2005 anymore, you can stand down.

Sara

As a California tax payer, I am infuriated by his blatant narcissistic gall. Demi is better off without this SCROOGE putz.

Sara

Violation of every patron's privacy and sensitive personal information has enormous potential. Maybe Kutcher should be allowed to move forward so he can be sued by every single person who goes to the DMV for privacy invasion, at the very least. I really doubt anyone would sign a release waiver to appear on camera without being paid. The guy would have no show either way. Kudos to the DMV. There must be some remorse period loophole. I had neutral opinion of AK until now. PR douchebag.

Chris

I would call Ashton a douche.. But why insult something that actually does good.

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

He's the guy who bought the internet from Al Gore, right?

Never mind...

If I wanted to watch people getting aggravated at the DMV, I'd just hang out at there in my spare time.

feelicks

i dnt know why californians are crying, they let notamom get away with hiding her $$$$ all while receiving government assistance..

Fantastic Four

******
Ashton Kutcher is trying to take money out of your back pocket!

The State of California is paid for by You, and its nearly bankrupt.

Every dime Ashton Kutcher sues California comes out of the budget of the public schools, which lost $10B this year.

Sick that a 1% Billionaire like Ashton Kutcher would be trying to screw normal Californians that BUILT his career.

He would never dream about doing that to Iowans. They'd run him out of town with pitchforks!

Ih8Taxes

Asston s*cks big monkey balls. Bring back Charlie!

Steven

Its strange that it only took 6 weeks ,. there are no over educated nor over qualified personel at the DMV Ck my email . Of course with incedents on camera the legal problems would be unbelievable. DMV pay what ever he asks you do not want & can not afford to have ONE hour of footage do***enting what goes on.

Diane

Hey, Asston! Leave our tax dollars alone - you've enough of your own!

Ashlyn

If doing the show wouldn't be in the DMV's best interest.. then why agree to do it in the first place? How stupid can you get? I'm not into this whole suing thing, but if they have a written agreement, you can't just say you don't want to do it anymore. Like I said, the dummies should have said no to begin with.

Steven

DMV,..do ur self ( and us) a favor,.. pay whatever he wants. One single hr. of footage inside the DMV would cost 10 X's ,..There is no over educated nor over qualified worker in the DMV.
I once had a clerk ask me why I kept refering to the book I brought from home, When I told him it was the Ca. Vehicle Code book, he asked why do I have it . Telling him,.. this is what tells YOU what the law is (basicly your job) He said He had never seen one,.. and that it couldnt have anything to do w/ how he does his job. I did assure him it does & he could buy 1 as I did at the casher. BET YOU HE DID NOT.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments