Rodney King's Family

We Need HELP

with Funeral Costs

6/25/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_rodney_king_getty
Rodney King was not a wealthy man when he died ... and now his family is asking the public for donations so they can pay for a proper burial for the infamous LAPD beating victim.

Despite the fact King scored a $3.8 million settlement from the City of L.A. after the 1992 incident, King's family tells TMZ ... there is basically no money left over to pay for his funeral costs, which are expected to run north of $22k.

The family has now issued a statement, through their rep, Kali Bowyer, asking people to contribute to a memorial fund established "for those who wish to contribute to the King family."

King's 3 adult daughters, along with other family members, are desperately trying to come up with the cash ... but Bowyer tells us, "They need the money."

King is scheduled to be laid to rest on June 30.

As far as the mystery surrounding Rodney's death, the family says, "[We are] looking forward to a swift investigation into the death of our father, as well as we put our faith in the authorities responsible for handling the matter."

0619_rodney_king_remembering_footer

Jen

Get the funeral you can afford, if it isn't as grand as you think it should be then tough.

Tressa

He got 3.8 million dollars from LA... I dont think Im giving my money to someone who squandered theirs

Michael C, Teniente

This isn't about funeral costs. This is about paying off a number of family bills.

mike t,

margaret watson

Cremation is cheap.

Joao

22k for a funeral, what do you think we are, IDIOTS.

Uh oh i am screwed

Funerals are for the living not for the dead. Burn him and box him. Cremation costs a few hundred dollars.
He won't know the difference.

me

Sell some weed.

manbearpig

this is a scam. anyone who donates one cent is getting ripped off.

dollarbuild

Sorry, we already donated $3.8M to Rodney, via tax dollars paid out by the LAPD. I suggest each family member that helped him squander that money, come up with the money.

Mallory

He should have made that part of his financial plan......oh wait.......forgot who we were talking about. All that money did was dig his grave for him. What a waste of money and life.

s_megma

Put him in a garbage bag, thrown in a few heavy rocks, and dump him in the ocean like Osama.

Ih8Taxes

I'll be more than happy to donate a Hefty trash bag and a shovel. Hell, I'll even dig the hole myself, because I'm not afraid of work.

Kali

@ CELEB GOSSIP ADDICT let's get one thing straight i have NOT asked anyone for anything. He was my friend 1st off 2nd they need help and that is a decision the family made 100% on their own I found out after the fact. so chk yourself.

CarolineJenkins

A funeral does not cost $22K. I know that blacks almost always spend much more than whites do on funerals because they order up enough cars to carry all of the family; they print up programs and souvenir cards for all attendees; and the flowers on the coffin are included in the cost of the funeral and not given by the family as most of us do. And black funeral homes just plain cost more than non-black owned ones.

buzz kill

I buried my dog in the backyard, didn't cost a dime. At most $15. if you need to buy a shovel. And my dog was a far greater loss.