Rodney King's Family

We Need HELP

with Funeral Costs

6/25/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_rodney_king_getty
Rodney King was not a wealthy man when he died ... and now his family is asking the public for donations so they can pay for a proper burial for the infamous LAPD beating victim.

Despite the fact King scored a $3.8 million settlement from the City of L.A. after the 1992 incident, King's family tells TMZ ... there is basically no money left over to pay for his funeral costs, which are expected to run north of $22k.

The family has now issued a statement, through their rep, Kali Bowyer, asking people to contribute to a memorial fund established "for those who wish to contribute to the King family."

King's 3 adult daughters, along with other family members, are desperately trying to come up with the cash ... but Bowyer tells us, "They need the money."

King is scheduled to be laid to rest on June 30.

As far as the mystery surrounding Rodney's death, the family says, "[We are] looking forward to a swift investigation into the death of our father, as well as we put our faith in the authorities responsible for handling the matter."

0619_rodney_king_remembering_footer

Lori

Should have spent less money on pot!

Holly

Three adult daughters....what is EVERYONE in the family smoking crack? Please. Anyone who donates to this ridiculous cause should re-evaluate themselves.....Holly

Idon'tCare

Are you kidding me? He blew through 4mil and his family wants more? Add on what what this crook and his crew cost the city in repairing the damage done in the riots and I say: Good luck with that.

uninspired

chunk him back in the pool and fill it with dirt,,,

pattycake

Dear King family, instead of sending you $$ for your need, President Obama wants me to send it to his re-election campaign instead. Sorry.

Dexter

Are they friggin serious? Sorry for them!!! I guess they've never heard of cremation? I would hope no one is dumb enough to give these pinheads any $

MikeJones

22k????? What kind of funeral are you having?/!! Scale down the big celebrity funeral and have a nice intimate funeral with family? My grandmother's was around 7k.. It can be done.

AeroJack7

$22k for a funeral for someone they knew was "broke"? If you couldn't afford that kind of cash in life, why should you expect it in death? They should go for the $500 shake and bake special and then held a memorial at a park or someplace.

Jen

Really? Use creamation. Other people living it need money more than a dead man. JS

Michael C, Teniente

22 grand? That is absurd! It cost less than $1,000 to have the body cremated. In fact just this past Feb. we had to bury my dearest friend. He wanted to be cremated because he said it's a sin to pay so much to die and be buried.

If you don't have the money for a funeral, you cremate the body for a little over $700. That's just a fact.

mike t.

walt

The cremation for my parents cost $800 each.
The church was free (with a small donation-1 or 2 hundred)

They need 22,000?

Yvonne

I'm pretty sure he just wrote a book and make a lot of appearances on TV this past year? My husband and I have never had that kind of money but we've saved and made our own arrangments after raising a family of 6 kiddos. You know your gonna die some day you do your own. My dads was last year and I paid 11,000 for a nice one. They are taking advantage of his fame so they can all fight over what's left when it's over. BULL!

Babycakes

If you cant afford a $22K funeral then you dont have a $22K funeral! No need for all the belsl and whistles. Just pick out a casket that you can afford and if you cant buy a plot then have im cremated - which is much cheaper.

Duane

That settlement money must have gone "Up in Smoke" Maybe his dealer or Cheech and Chong will foot the bill

ludeck

I paid $800 to have my mom cremated. She would have killed me if I have spent a penny more. A huge waste of money. Have him cremated then have a private ceremony at home for him.