Rodney King's Family

We Need HELP

with Funeral Costs

6/25/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_rodney_king_getty
Rodney King was not a wealthy man when he died ... and now his family is asking the public for donations so they can pay for a proper burial for the infamous LAPD beating victim.

Despite the fact King scored a $3.8 million settlement from the City of L.A. after the 1992 incident, King's family tells TMZ ... there is basically no money left over to pay for his funeral costs, which are expected to run north of $22k.

The family has now issued a statement, through their rep, Kali Bowyer, asking people to contribute to a memorial fund established "for those who wish to contribute to the King family."

King's 3 adult daughters, along with other family members, are desperately trying to come up with the cash ... but Bowyer tells us, "They need the money."

King is scheduled to be laid to rest on June 30.

As far as the mystery surrounding Rodney's death, the family says, "[We are] looking forward to a swift investigation into the death of our father, as well as we put our faith in the authorities responsible for handling the matter."

0619_rodney_king_remembering_footer

jd

Cremation is cheap.

Doodles

My family does not have much money, when my mom passed she had no insurance and no money, we the family handled her arrangements ourselves. We did not make a plea to the media for help. Why can't they do this too?

Tax payer

Our tax money is what he lived off. Some of us are working poor any NOBODY helps else. Plus all the court expenses from his subsequent arrests. The nerve

YT

they should sell copies of the video of the police beating the crap out of him to raise some money, I'd buy one.

gman

1 million dollars spent in 3 years:
$1000 a day for 3 years with no return on the 1m = broke.
3m with same habit = 9 years broke!

Do the math...most people think like someone said on this board " i couldn't spend that in a lifetime." Yes you could but it's foolish.

Spend $300,000 a year = 9 years before going broke with 1 m and 27 years before going broke with 3m.

Do the math ... set limits and live happy for a long time. You don't need financial advisers to R.I.P. you off.

I already got my plan!

Eastender

you know what they do in India? They start burning the body at sunrise, and by sunset there is nothing left but ashes. Those ashes are then dumped in the river. Viola. It doesn't cost a penny. Why would we pay for someone who had 3 mil in the bank - ridiculous!

ABB

You don't need a 22K funeral! I make good money and I have stated in my will to be disposed of in the cheapest way possible, meaning that UCLA or USC students get to cut up my dead a$$ body. Hell. They can also cut off my *D* I won't care!! You know why? I'm DEAD!

Atl

They blew 3.8 million and now they want more cash to bury him! 22k to bury him is throwing good money after bad on a guy that just isn't worth it. RIP, but come on family members.. Be responsible for a change instead of soaking others!

choppy

Maybe if you ask nicely, LAPD will give it to you. hehe Let him be cremated like the rest of the paupers.

Chase

Do they take W.I.C.?

Amber

I swear this just chaps my A$$ the more I think about it!!!! The 3.8 mil was tax payers $$ Which I am sure he most likely NEVER contributed to in his life!!!! I work very hard for my $ and the fact that these people have the nerve to ask for $$ when he blew through 3.8 mil in probably 15 years??? Why didn't he invest like most normal people would??? What really ticks me off more than anything is that people out there WILL donate to them!!! There most likely will be Celebs that will give them $$... It's sickening!!! Okay, off my soap box now! :)

Jackazz flatts

I guess someone in that family will have to sell their azz To raise money for a pine box.

kelly

it irks me when i see people with money complain about not being able to afford to pay for the 22,000.00$ funeral that they ordered- if i had access to the funds he did, one of the first things i would have done is make arrangements for my remains for when the time came- im using this as an example simply because of the timing- my brother died yesterday morning from a heart attack- now we're sitting here overwhelmed because we have no idea how we're going to pay for his creamation- we're not having any services of any kind- no viewing- simply cant afford it- the news paper wanted way to much for a simple four and a half line obituary- my mothers income was decreased by nearly three quarters when nearly to the day four years ago we lost our father and she can barely afford to keep her lights on with what she is getting from the military and ssi- my bills keep me pretty broke and his fiancé is fully disabled- if you cannot afford the 22,000.00$ funeral that you ordered, don't ask for donations- thats RUDE- bring the cost down to what you can afford and give him the best sendoff you can with what you got and be thankfull for what you could afford because some of us out there cant even afford the most inexpensive option- to add amonia to the open wound, we were advised by a rep at the funeral home that we should have 'planned for this' better- how does one 'plan' for a 41 year old active and hardworking man who was being bested by the economy and being laid off soon after he finally find a job- its a disgusting display of greed- :(

Real Goat

Put that trash in a dumpster.

Faye

A $22k funeral? You must be kidding. A funeral only costs $22k if you are doing some elaborate crap. Sorry but I wouldn't donate to this mess on a bet. If you can afford a "rep" you can afford a funeral.