Scantron Inventor Dies

[R] [I] [P]

6/28/2012 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0628_rest_in_piece_scantron_article
Sad day in the world of standardized testing ... the genius who invented Scantron has passed away.

Michael Sokolski -- who co-founded Scantron in 1972 -- died June 13 at the age of 85 ... after suffering from congestive heart failure.

Sokolski didn't just change the world of education ... after WW2, he fought with Polish Forces under the British Eighth Army Command from 1945 to 1947 ... and was honored with the Italy Star and War Medal for his service.

Pencils down.

Michael Sokolski has died.

KnuckleDragger

Nice fish!

iimE

No one has done more for number 2 pencil than this man.

a
d
a
d
a
d
a
d
times running out...

Pudding Tang

Oh how i hated filling in dots!!! ...... a bit time consuming .... r.i.p. nevertheless

Jay W.

"after WW2, he fought with Polish Forces under the British Eighth Army Command following 1945 to 1947"

Isn't "Sokolski" a Pole name?
Anyhow... RIP Mr. Sokolski.

DaveT

No 2 pencil and stay inside the lines, don't press too hard and Shhhhhh!
RIP and awesome fish catch

thehollister2690

RIP...but i hates those ****in tests..lol

parlayer

sleeping with the fishes has a upgraded meaning. RIP, a Salute at his funeral would be good for a vet.

jscottj

C....C....C....C.....C.....C.....C....C....

Gloria Unread

Aww.. I used to love taking Scantron tests!! Also used to love when the teacher would have me enter them into the machine for grading. In the 1980's, it felt so high-tech. (but then again, so did Johnny #5, so maybe it's my nostalgia kicking in...)
RIP, Mr. Sokolski. You get an A+ from me.

namers

The comments are more Entertainment than the story. Slow snooze day?

LasVegasResidency

RIP

TMZ, implement a damn notification system please. Too many idiots posting comments. Retards and morons may post now....

jimmy d

Wow. I'm shocked that this guy didn't go into deep hiding. I hated those tests. There was always confusion and trickery and you were never assured if you were correct or not. Bastard. Rot in hell!

Jean

RIP, yes, but tell me again how this belongs on TMZ? if he wasn't a celebrity before he died, he's not a celebrity now. TMZ please stop texting my cell with obits for obscure people like myself.

Justin

You will be missed, all the story's and life lessons will never be forgotten. Glad to see you where never forgotten

Nadiadamit

i like this post and i loved those tests.. i did, it was a challenge and who doesn't love that? plus i did really well at them. heheh. he was an important part of history and if he was obscure, i am glad he is no longer. my sympathies and condolences to his friends and family.. rest in peace and thank u for ur contributions to our educational system.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments