Savannah Guthrie

Officially Named

'Today' Co-Anchor

6/29/2012 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0629_savannah_guthrieIt's official -- NBC just announced Savannah Guthrie is the new co-anchor of "Today."

As TMZ first reported, Savannah was a lock to replace Ann Curry, who had fallen out of favor with both NBC brass and Matt Lauer after co-hosting the show for just one year.

Curry made her tearful farewell Thursday -- and it was Guthrie who took Curry's seat this morning ... although no on-air announcement was made.

"Today" executive producer Jim Bell just released a statement announcing Savannah's new position -- saying, Guthrie "has a one-of-a-kind combination of sharp wit and approachability, and our viewers value her journalistic skills and legal background just as much as her humor and charm."

Bell added, "She can effortlessly go from interviewing the Secretary of State to jumping Olympic-sized hurdles on the plaza."

Stiletto

As you can tell by the picture, she is already practicing "opening wide" for her new slavemaster.

Simone

Adele being pregnant is bigger news than this.

moso

BOYCOTT!! Load of crap they replaced Ann. She is both entertaining and a serious reporter. I have liked her since Katey was on and upset she didn't get the anchor when she left. She is much better than Meredith was.. If Matt really did have anything to do with this, what an A-hole.. If not.. I hope NBC regrets this stupid as@ move and gets her back just like they did with Leno.. I think I'm watching GMA!!! So long Today Show!!!

Sally

Excellent change.

tired of hearing about them

I personally wish her luck. I never liked watching Ann. As for the accusations about her and Matt, none of my business, and it isn't my place to judge either of them, that is someone else's job. I will continue to watch the show when I am up at that time.

jc

They need need to dump the douchebag Lauer then maybe, their rating will go up!

Muse.ical

She is SO fugly, and looks SO much like Katie "Ms. Gums" Couric, due to her mouth/gums. This chick has an ANNOYING voice, too, just like Couric. She will "crash and burn on impact" -- watch.wait. i am right.

cochino

GIVE IT A REST! WE KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've been hammering this story for days!!!!!!

The show blows anyway. Laurer is boring and Guthrie doesn't have it.

DaveT

Cool, congrats, now the drama will die down in a few weeks and we won't have to see women acting like Ann Curry is some goddess to worship instead of what she really is...an expendable employee...like the rest of us ;)

jealous of kate

was lauer rumored to have an affair with the new one? How come he is never thought to be the reason for the ratings going DOWN DOWN DOWN???? I stopped watching Today a few years ago, when Lauer could no longer do a straight interview.... he was interviewing Pres. Obama and he was sucking up to him and not questioning him on ANY OF THE ANSWERS HE GAVE. Like-Mr. President-what are the 3 most important things in your life? MY Faith (we never saw him go to church at that point as President) -I have daily Mediations/devotions emailed to me. #2My children (okay, but what about Michelle??) #3 Basketball (REALLY, like REALLY, REALLY REALLY???? where is Michelle on the list???? ) Matt just took those answers and let them be. Again, I am not saying he should of ATTACKED THE ANSWERS... BUT.... I know these questions, nor answers are not surprises... and Matt should have joked 'wheres michelle on the list'. at the very least. and it sounded like the WH wanted this question, he should have said this question ... well the answers about to be given(it wasnot live) were really, WELL STUPID!!!!

I also hating the interview because Lauer treated Pres. Bush #1, 2 Okay, and really not rudely, but you could see what party he believes in. A newsman, person, is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BIASED!!! I know it is hard, but.... AT LEAST TRY!!!! NBC basically bives Oral Blow Jobs to Obama and must tell its employees to go overboard , but, don't these 'suposed NEWSMEN' have any ETHICS LEFT>>>??????

dick

Wow! she's pretty fugly! Natalie Morales is way prettier.

thousandmillion

rack city kloony isles stick hick chick

Jonathan L. Craft

They lost a long time viewer of the Today Show. been watching it since the late 70's. I am not Impressed with Jim Bell or Matt Lauer. Matt pushed and fussed and whined to get his way and more money. And, when he got that he pushed some more to get her pushed off the show. He said he wanted someone pretty, beautiful, smart and intelligent. Please, Anne is all that and more. Savannah is more like a Bubble Gum Chewer and hair twister. Sorry, but just my opinion. Will not be watching ater what they did to Anne.

whatsup

She is a Court TV reject. Needs new teeth and new hair and major face work. This show is doomed. Go GMA!

Joybubble55

She stinks. But I'm sure she will be perfect foe Matt...he is a womanizer....And he is a jerk...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments