Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Delaware D

TEAM COOPER!!

ChloeMarie

Thank you.

Mary Ann McQueen

Good for him....Glad he feels safe & confident to come out. That said, it was as surprising as Rosie coming out as a lesbian...

Wobbles

This isn't really what you'd call news so much as it is confirmation of what anybody with their eyes open and half a brain already figured out.

Jac

Anderson, we're not surprised.

kronenburg

Well, it's about time! I think it's important for an intelligent, well spoken, articulate person like Cooper to come out. He'll be a terrific role model for gay youth - congrats!

Mabel Leaf

Bless his heart!

STFUP

In other news - water is wet.

VinceAmbersDad

No kidding! Duh....no appearances with a woman. I'v told my wife. "Andersons gay" she swears he's straight. Any monkey w/half a brain could see he liked men. Sheesh!

Fat Mike

Now that Tom's getting divorced from his beard, maybe they can hook up

Eli7798

Tell me something we didn't know already Mother Focker!

EatMe

I'm really surprised by this. I have always known he was gay and thought he came out many years ago!

Meggie24

He's always been a man of honor & integrity. Glad he finally said it publicly. Now that the silly public scrutiny is over, he can carry on with being an amazing journalist.

janja

relax anderson this is one of the century's worst kept secrets.

EarthAngel

Beautiful and simple.....good for you ;)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments