Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

Bandot

I thought he came out years ago. He was great journalist before and he is still a great journalist that I still respect and admire.

ack9999

A deaf & blind person could've figured this one out...

The Atlanta Church Of Satan

Christians say that gay people are all g

tellmeaboutit

Golly, what a non-surprise I don't care that he's gay. I'm only concerned about what a sell-out he turned out to be. From serious journalist to half assed talk show host, all for the almighty dollar.

The Love Sponge

Good News

Tara

Everyone loves you Anderson! You're the best!

Elena

Hey Anderson....I knew that you were gay. It's no ones business but yours. NONETHELESS....I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!!

The Atlanta Church Of Satan

There are no gays going to Hell anymore. Gays can hold office,get married,adopt children and start their own Christian churches. This in turn makes them happy and more productive. Anderson Copper is a good example of this. Satan is no longer accepting gay people into Hell because they are in fact just Gay. I hope this gives the Evangelist fits.

JulieB

Anderson Cooper, your integrity is flawless! I salute, applaud and admire you (as I always have) for making a statement so that we might foster open-mindedness and abolish hatred.

Ashley

Another deviant "coming out". Make the perversion stop.

Aussiecam

Anderson i am so proud of you! I have always looked up to you as a role model and you will be a great ambassador for Gay Youth! TEAM COOPER!!!!!

tamarind

I thought this story came out (pun perhaps intended) in 2009?
I really was sure! Anyway, how is this news? Everyone knows! What next, 'John Travolta Loves Judy Garland'?

mari

Good for you Cooper...love you even more;;)))

Ratoot

Bless you Mr. Cooper. We love you!!!!

elm

Did he comment on why he pointedly avoided going public for decades? Not exactly a stand-up guy in that regard since he was such the public figure. And it became kind of absurd since everybody knew anyway. It makes it even more stand-downish in retrospect.