Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

Queero Loco

Hollywood churns out another ***

Jay

I am shocked only because I thought he was already out. Good for him for feeling comfortable enough with himself to write that letter.

ShrinkWrap

Cooper, everybody already knew and nobody really cares.

leelu richie

awesome!!! that explains why Kathy Griffin loves him. :D

Queero Loco

The jews in holloywood have churned out another pole smoker.

Truth

THIS IS BIGGEST ANTI-CLIMATIC REVEAL SINCE TOM CRUISE HOPPED ON THE COUCH AND PRETENDED TO BE HETEROSEXUAL!! NOOOOO.... ANDERSON COOPER IS GAAAAY???? SAY IT AINT SO, JOE.... AND LIFE GOES ON. BESIDES, WE'VE ALL SEEN CHIC WITH HIS BOY TOYS FOR LIKE THE LAST DECADE. NOT NEWS. NEXT!! #TRUTH!!

Michele

Well said. I have always admired your professionalism, your grace and your honesty. You are true to your reporting and to everyone else in your life.

martini777

OMG! Shocker!!! Next thing they'll say: Trump is an egomaniac and the Kardashians love publicity!

Gormm

It's gross for a man to put his penis into another man's butt.

UpsideDownTire

Good for Anderson Cooper!

Jan

I am for gay rights and against bullying gays. However, Anderson Cooper hangs with Kathy Griffin one the biggest bullies on TV and tours. Also I am against ALL BULLIES, straight,bi, or gay. Regardless of my opinion of Palin's politics, what they gay heckler did to Bristol Palin in the bar is an example of many gays that bully.

saynotolies

Maybe now George Clooney will FINALLY come clean about being GAY! He is soooo Gay! I just wish some of these "actors" would come forward...it won't hurt your career, it will just add to it...I can't stand it when they deny about it... that's what makes it worse...and yes it's private, but when everyone, like Anderson comes forward, I think they should step up as well!!!!

lana

You are Anderson Cooper, a person first. Who you date male/female, who you sleep with in your bed male/female is YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSEs BUSINESS. I wish everyone would stop stereotyping Gay etc etc etc..................A persons sexuality is there BUSINESS(exclude pedophiles please perverts etc.....)

Bolivar