Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

Dohi

Frank is a breath of fresh air. I just love him lol. He never trys to hide anything. He always clears up the rumors going around about him. His music is beautiful. I can def relate to a lot of his songs. He's just amazing. I can't wait for his album to come out. ---> CHANNEL ORANGE: 7/17/12 (:

Mikey

When black people were brought to this country it was the dumb ass blacks that got caught, the smart ones got away. This is why we have dumb ass gay rappers in this country today.

Like Chris Rock said: "Happy White People Independence Day.

DaveT

It's Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds!
Seriously, there really is intolerance in the hip hop world, but most beatings and murders of gay men have been men who aren't in the hip hop world.
Maybe hip hop community is ready to be more accepting than we expect, it's not as full of thugs as TV and movies like to portray.
Time will tell. Either way he's a brave dude to admit who he is publicly knowing he'll face some judgement and negativity, takes guts.

Mikey

Its well known that most of your rappers are homosexual.

Smarg

Ew. Licking fecal-stained johnsons and putting them up your lower colon is deviant.

PG

Hope he used protection.

jack-55d79

It takes a tough man to say something that may be unpopular to some peers and listeners. It's an important first step in hip hop. What difference does it make to his music? None. He's not a gay rapper, he's a rapper who happens to be gay.

jeff

I knew it when I saw a pink gun in his waistband.

LoudMouth

One of these days/years/decades I will figure out WHY people think it's important to know who or what you are sleeping with and who or what you are sticking into your body openings. It doesn't matter. 99% of us do not care, so please quit making public announcements. No one needs to know. Your friends already know. And if you family hasn't figured it out by now, they are either blind or morons. Either way, make your music/tv shows/movies and stfu about your sexual preferences. WE DON'T CARE NOR DO WE NEED TO KNOW.

Jay

He wrote some powerful words about the love he felt for the guy he fell in love with. But whats to expect from an amazing lyricist like Frank Ocean.
I'm glad he's free and happy. I Hope other artists can be free as well.

david

its nasty and immoral...i bet a fart smells like sex and turns the gays on...i hate how if you dont agree with it (like the bible tell us) then people call you homophobic...im not homophobic i just think its gross and i dont want my kids around it

franklady83

I am proud of a person that is proud of who they are. We all deserve love and happiness.

Telma

Such a b.s. story...most of these
so called rappers are gay. It's a
joke when they try and act hard.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Kanye's turn.

Kari

Never heard of him, but happy he feels free. Thanks, again, to Anderson Cooper, and I hope everyone who wants to come out does. And no, I am not gay--not that there is anything wrong with that! (Seinfeld)