Katie Holmes

I Don't Want Scientology Interrogating Suri

7/4/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0703_katie_suri_getty
Katie Holmes
desperately wanted to save Suri from a form of interrogation practiced by the Church of Scientology that she was steadfastly against ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Katie tell TMZ, back in 2005 she had witnessed Tom's other kids participating in a Scientology ritual she found to be troubling ... and feared Tom would drag Suri through the same process.

Ex-Scientologists call the process "sec checking."  Here's the way it works.  The subject holds electrode handles on a device called an e-meter and is then asked a series of personal questions that help the Church locate "areas of spiritual distress."

0703_the-e-meter
Some ex-Scientologists claim the questions include:

-- What has somebody told you not to tell?
-- Have you ever decided you did not like some member of your family?
-- Have you ever bullied a smaller child?
-- Have you ever lied to a teacher?
-- Have you ever done something you were very much ashamed of?
-- Have you ever refused to obey an order from someone you should obey?
-- Have you ever gotten yourself dirty on purpose?

During the process, a person called an "auditor" collects e-meter readings.

Several ex-Scientologists have come out against "sec checking," claiming it's a mild form of psychological terrorism designed, in part, to get children to report on their parents.

We're told Katie would have none of it and it is one of the reasons she broke from the Church and ultimately Tom.

Nancy

I said it before and I'll say it again. "NEVER MESS WITH A MOTHER AND HER CHILD!". I don't care what you "believe". It's the strongest, truest BOND ever. You f'd up Tom. And by the way . . why has something that you believe is such a "positive" force in your life turned so negative AGAINST YOU?! Hmmmm . . perhaps you should think about that.

lowens1975

If I were her, I'd refer to him in court do***ents as the 'sperm donor'.
Cut and run Katie.

Kabala

That's not weird... :-P

writenow

Hello...and, Duh.

This is a set-up for Parental Alienation" which is a quite frequent by-product of custody disputes; and one in which therapists make out like bandits.

Drea

God bless Katie Holmes for being a good parent. I'm sure there is still part of her that has some kind of feelings for Tom, but she is a good mom and knows when to walk for her daughter.
Kate has always been a good,kind,and sweet person. We grew up in the same area and have mutual friends. Noone has EVER had anything but good to say about her family. I believe she got swept away by a dashing Prince who turned out to be another toad in disguise. Most females have done it at least once in their lives....
She is simply taking hers and her daughter's lives back.
That is to be applauded.
I will continue to pray for them both until it is all settled.....

Diana

she looks so sad....sounds like the movie with sally fields "NOT MY DAUGHTER"

brad

I hope Katie Holmes gets full custody of Suri and decides everything that's going to happen with her. Just give Tom maybe visitation once a month for a few hours. Tom is probably so fanatical about his Scientology cult that he won't care if doesn't see Suri much. Tom will probably be auditioning hot new actresses for the role of Ms. Tom Cruise in a matter of months. He'll just get him a new baby to replace Suri.

christy

Good Morning and Happy 4th! Hope you are all enjoying th3 freedom today celebrates. Anyway, I just and finished reading this mornings paper, true this, and page after page Ifound myself saying, "don't know, don't care" until an article in the back about Andy dying.Then, I had to pause
and it caused me to reflect on a truely great gentlemans life/death/influence. Out of all the headlines today, it still is the only one to cause pause.

melody

Tom,
You're mentally ill, you need professional Psychiatrict help with MEDICATION!!

brad

I'm sure there's some young, naive actresses who will jump at the chance to help Tom spend his millions and have his baby so she can at least get child support. However, any woman who marries Tom probably won't be able to cheat on him while he's out of the house. I'm sure he has his house under surveillance and the people working in his house will report back to Tom whatever they see. I hear it's a lot like being a prisoner. Tom's in a classic, secretive, paranoid, clannish cult. I hear Tom isn't really into sex much (with women anyway), so his next wife better get a vibrator or whatever ... if Tom allows that of course. There's probably an L. Ron Hubbard rule in the Scientology bible that forbids it.

anon98765

So Katie saw the interrogation in 2005, before she had Suri and before she married Tom. I can't figure out why on earth she continued the relationship if she was troubled by Scientology practices. She's a smart girl, she had to know this would eventually be an issue. Seems like she let the thrill of dating Tom Cruise override the reality of what life with him would mean. Honestly that's her fault. Should have thought it through better and not jumped into it so fast.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I've gotten myself dirty on purpose.

Northerngirl41

Wait..Wait..Wait...Tom Cruise is still going to have his child on weekends or whatever the custody arrangement turns out to be...as a father he will still be able to take her to Scientology meetings right?

Northerngirl41

Yes, I like to roll around in the mud...I love getting myself dirty.

South Beach

"Heil Hitler" comes to mind. What do they serve after the interrogation, Kool-Aid?