Ernest Borgnine

Dead at 95

7/8/2012 2:17 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0708_Ernest-Borgnine_getty
Ernest Borgnine, the legendary actor perhaps best known for his role in the movie "Marty," passed away today at the age of 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

Borgnine won an Oscar for "Marty" in 1955 and also starred in movies such as "From Here to Eternity" and "Bad Day at Black Rock."

On the small screen, Borgnine played Quinton McHale in the 1960s show "McHale's Navy."

Borgnine served a total of 10 years in the United States Navy, the last four coming after he re-enlisted when the U.S. entered World War II.

0709_ernest_borgnine_remembering_footer

Dani

RIP Ernest.

Rageykiwi

There is far to many great movies & parts he played.He would be sadly missed

Jules Destaing

This is very sad news indeed. McHale's Navy was part of my growing up. Condolences to his family.

Regina

RIP Mr Borgnine
Will never forget your role in the movie The Poisedon Adventure. You lived a long good life, sleep now.

namers

I flove Earnest Borgnine. I am a happy camper when I catch an episode of McHale's Navy. I still crack up. It was a great TV that took us around the world and taught us respect for 'the enemy.'

RIP.

wittygee

I remember him from the Poseidon Adventure (better than Titanic). And a little from McHale's Navy. He was cool! RIP Mr. Borgnine.

Kath

Oh no! Another of the greatest generation gone. Such a sad day.

dadkind

I've been watching him for all of my 50 years. He was one of the "constants".
He will be missed.

MIKE

RIP He was one of the great ones. I loved him in The Dirty Dozen

SUNIA3

Both he and his wife, Tova, awesome people.

Maverick

R.I.P. Ernie was awesome. Great guy.

Saw him at a screening last year. Was so full of vigor. You'd never guess for a minute he was in his 90's.

doublej

I love that show airwolf and he was incredible! I miss that show allot. I wish they could have kept the show going but with jan michael vincent getting in trouble with his addiction it more or less doomed the show.

ThePhoenix

I was parked in front of the TV watching McHale's Navy as a kid, I loved that show and I loved him, always a quick wit and a smile. RIP

Grandma Cracker

Another of the greats is gone........so sad.....

Truth

HE DIED YOUNG. WE WERE HOPING HE MAKE AT LEAST 100. #EPICFAIL #TRUTH!!