Suri Cruise

Triggered Divorce Settlement

7/10/2012 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0709_suri_cruise_getty
Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise went from zero to nuclear war in an instant when she filed divorce papers, but it was little Suri who became the peacemaker ... sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... a week ago Thursday, after Katie filed, the hostility between the two was palpable and Suri became a weapon. Katie wanted to strip Tom of all decision-making power in Suri's life, and Tom responded by unleashing the biggest legal guns around to fight her.

We're told what turned everything around was a series of conversations that Suri would be irreparably damaged by parental warfare. It registered big time with both Tom and Katie, and it allowed their lawyers to strike a deal in what could be record time for this type of divorce.

Fact is ... it generally takes celebs in these high-profile divorces a lot longer to realize how bitterness affects small kids, so credit to both.

0709_happier_times_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

Smoothie

The National Enquirer. Where is TMZ's (one rag's) story about another rags story? Do they not point at each other ridiculous "CRIMES" against people?

Smoothie

How come people who have been slandered in the National Enquirer and harmed by it's lies and stories do not get together and launch a humungus class action lawsuit and bankrupt that seedy evil obsolete harmful newspaper?

Texas

I have a question... I watched TMZ yesterday as I usually do and there was no mention of anything about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. From what I am seeing on the Internet and tv ( even Good Morning America mentioned it this morning ) this is the biggest story around. Definitely the biggest story in entertainment news. TMZ is supposedly the top e-news service right now. But nothing?! I'm afraid the rumors may be true and I will now have to find something else to do for a half hour at lunchtime. Shame on you, Harvey and the rest. Pay attention advertisers.

Texas

I have a question... I tuned in to TMZ yesterday as I usually do and there was not one item about the Tom Cruise Katie Holmes story. From what I am seeing on the Internet and tv ( Good Morning America even mentioned it this morning ) this is the biggest story going on right now. At least in entertainment news. So why did TMZ - the preeminent e-news source right now - not mention it? Are the rumors correct? Shame on you Harvey and the rest! I guess I will have to find something else to do for a half hour at noon. Pay attention advertisers.

Sherms

I hope she can put out a book some day - somehow. I always wondered what his deal was, but it is slowly coming to light. I would love to read what it was about, and what it was like.

Koatz

Now, I am an even bigger fan of Tom Cruise as a result of this action. Katie Holmes has forever lost me as a fan.
The law should not take sides on with whom the child is allowed to have a meaningful relationship. Equal parenting time should be the law of the land.
Now, the only thing Tom has to be concerned about is Parental Alienation by Katie, the ****.

LS

OMG! They are not special! Lots of people get divorced! I pray they do what is best for their young daughter and get over their rich folks attitudes! I am tired of hearing about it already! Isn't there any other news to report?

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15