Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Drugs Didn't Kill My Bro

7/17/2012 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0717_joseph_gordon_levitt_gq

update_bar
7/18 --
GQ has released a statement saying, "The magazine stands by its reporting, the facts of which are fully supported—and have been confirmed in detail—by the Los Angeles County coroner's office."
0314_divider_graphic
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
is lashing out at GQ ... claiming the mag was "irresponsible" and just plain wrong when it printed an article that said his older brother Dan died of a drug overdose in 2010.

JGL -- who happens to be this month's GQ coverboy -- posted a message on his website which reads:

"I’m writing this because I have a problem with what their article says about my brother. I’ll be honest, it really made me feel terrible. Here’s a quote:

…the elder Gordon-Levitt died of an alleged drug overdose in 2010.  “It was an accident” is all Joe will say about that.’"

Gordon writes, "The 'allegations' to which [the writer] must be referring were made by a handful of gossip websites. They are factually incorrect according to the coroner’s office and the police department."

He adds, "I don’t like publicly speaking about my brother’s death, but I’m making an exception to correct this irresponsible claim."

"By the way, while I asked the writer not to dwell on how he died, I did say quite a bit about how he lived, and how much he means to me. Dan was a brightly positive, genuinely caring, and brilliantly inspiring person, and I liked the idea of such a wide readership learning about him. My parents and I are disappointed with what the article chose to focus on regarding this sensitive subject."

Calls to GQ have not been returned.

taz

J. Gordon Levitt is very well spoken, but naive to think that they wouldn't go there. There is no honor in journalism anymore, it's all tabloid now.

Eli7798

Well said! Leave to the public to correct the media again. I thought they were suppose to check the facts??? I guess that's just to much work these days.

Mavhak

Truth and simple facts don't sell anymore. Scandal, betrayal and basically anything that you would see in a soap opera is what sells these days! Oh and Nudity|

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

He should've handed the journalist a pair of scissors and told him to run around his office till he fell on them.

nonparieldolls

Saying his brother was a caring and inspiring person wouldn't sell as many magazines as saying he died of a drug overdose.

Sadly, for celebrities nowadays they're caught between a rock and a hard place -- they can't ignore the press, their work requires publicity, but whatever they say is subject to "editing" to slant it however the press wishes.

Glad J. Gordon Levitt was able to at least get his side of the story out there, for all the good it will do. Our press enjoys just a little too much "freedom of the press" -- free to pursue people like hounds after a fox, free to write whatever they please and truth be damned. Wish there could be some restraint along with all the freedom.

Carl

I thought GQ was classier than that.

KnuckleDragger

A simple check by TMZ to the L.A. Coroner's Office for the results of the toxicology report would put this to rest.

Mary P

I adore his zest and love to protect his brother but he really didn't refute the statement, nor did he make any comment on what was in the report so I fear it will only further speculation. It wasn't a "handful" of gossip sites - it was really all of them with witnesses stating he was taking drugs before his death. The police report said he was surrounded by needles and syringes when he was found. I understand his heartbreak but I think I'd rather use his life as a cautionary tale and be pro-active rather than release vague statements that actually further the thoughts rather than disprove them.

SSinOC

What killed the guy then? Everything you read would lead one to draw the conclusion that this is what did him in at 36 yo. If you want to get technical I guess you could claim a stoppage of the heart and keep floating down that denial river?

BellaBoo

Sounds like he put this statement out because the article upset his parents. Which is nice of him.

Anonymous

Joseph Gordon-Levitt should have just cleared it up, and said what he died from, otherwise, everything out there says he OD'ed. I would not want everyone thinking my brother died of an OD if if were false, and I would clear it up.
That leads me to the only conclusion: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is covering it up, and does not want to confirm what most people already believe.

Mary P

I should throw out there - it also wasn't just gossip sites. Major outlets covered it as a drug overdose and IIRC - the family has refused to release toxicology reports.

jokerchick

Love this kid...GQ is a glorified rag

nof

The usual family shame and cover-up.

Been there - done that.

elysummers

How low can they go to sell a magazine. tsk, tsk.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments