Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Drugs Didn't Kill My Bro

7/17/2012 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0717_joseph_gordon_levitt_gq

update_bar
7/18 --
GQ has released a statement saying, "The magazine stands by its reporting, the facts of which are fully supported—and have been confirmed in detail—by the Los Angeles County coroner's office."
0314_divider_graphic
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
is lashing out at GQ ... claiming the mag was "irresponsible" and just plain wrong when it printed an article that said his older brother Dan died of a drug overdose in 2010.

JGL -- who happens to be this month's GQ coverboy -- posted a message on his website which reads:

"I’m writing this because I have a problem with what their article says about my brother. I’ll be honest, it really made me feel terrible. Here’s a quote:

…the elder Gordon-Levitt died of an alleged drug overdose in 2010.  “It was an accident” is all Joe will say about that.’"

Gordon writes, "The 'allegations' to which [the writer] must be referring were made by a handful of gossip websites. They are factually incorrect according to the coroner’s office and the police department."

He adds, "I don’t like publicly speaking about my brother’s death, but I’m making an exception to correct this irresponsible claim."

"By the way, while I asked the writer not to dwell on how he died, I did say quite a bit about how he lived, and how much he means to me. Dan was a brightly positive, genuinely caring, and brilliantly inspiring person, and I liked the idea of such a wide readership learning about him. My parents and I are disappointed with what the article chose to focus on regarding this sensitive subject."

Calls to GQ have not been returned.

nof

If I wrote/reported on events -

- EXACTLY as my own family insists/insisted?

-I'd be locked up right now:

-Accused of being on a-permanent-Acid-Trip.
___________________________________

-You don't tell journalists what to write, dude -

They research, they follow-up, they form a conclusion -

-And they report on that conclusion.

With no help from you, thanks...

What you want/need is DICTATION.

-We don't do dictation...

nof

Amazing the nerve of people.

Who insist you live THEIR reality -

I call it "Coney Island Living."

They project into a big old trick-mirror.

Some silly image/images -

That they ask YOU to build/live your life around.

Dude, this is a responsible magazine of the highest order -

You're lucky they DID a story on you - ANY story.

You're lucky if that writer ever TALKS to you again.

You're not the star, dude -

The STORY is -

This is Hollywood, remember?

sxyswtgrl

I knew Dan, he was a great person. Kudos to his brother for standing up for his memory.

R. Cortez

Scary how many of the writers are getting their information from gossip sites and other rumor mills. Truth is more elusive than ever !

Fifty Shades of WTF

BRAVO, well said. Joseph did his brother proud. Shame on GQ....

Melinda

His natural coping mechanism is to keep his brothers memory positive, I would do the same. No one wants their loved one remembered as the person who had drug issues. Even though I'm sure that was the case I understand what he's trying to do.

Phreaky

So full of **** - it was ABSOLUTELY a drug overdose, but his family cannot accept it and refuse to talk about the actual cause. Everyone knew it was a drug overdose the day it happened and all his hippy friends swarmed any place on the net talking about it with comments about "lets not talk about that" if anyone mentioned it was an OD. Man face the facts, it sucks, but your brother OD'd. Just because he loved drugs and tripping and screwed up does not mean it was *not* a drug OD. Try to make it positive by showing kids it can happen, not "we dont talk about it".

Jody

Just another actor trying to spin the truth. Don't dwell on how he died…..what is there to hide? If the accusations are factually incorrect, then let's see a death certificate or the coroner's report.

Something tells me big brother died of a drug overdose. Get over it and quit making excuses for him, I know it hurts, but that is the business in which you have chosen.

go home!

Um, but if he died of an "accidental" drug overdose, it may be an "accident," but still an overdose, right?

Jason

This is just flat out irresponsible. I mean it all goes to the media trying to make the "other son" bad...I mean why cant things just remain positive and as JGL says, focus on the positive from the deceased life. Really irresponsible

Cricket

Drugs are used to mask underlying problems a lot, self-medicating is a huge problem with mental illness. The family may consider the drugs secondary to another issue. The main point I take from Joseph's death is that they wanted to focus on the positive points of his life,and not have the OD define him.

Kristen

GQ looks like a bunch of *******s. Glad Joseph spoke out about it.

GLaDOS

In other words... his brother died of an OD but he doesn't want people talking about it. He's obviously trying to spin the story a certain way.

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

I´m sorry for the loss of his brother, and I´m rooting for J.G.L. as an actor, but his remarks do nothing to clear the air.

Luna

Joseph is a great actor. i had a crush on him since he was on 3rd rock from the sun. But he is naive to think GQ wouldn't go there. Journalism has no dignity nowadays. They'll anything to get ratings or readers.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments