Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Drugs Didn't Kill My Bro

7/17/2012 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0717_joseph_gordon_levitt_gq

update_bar
7/18 --
GQ has released a statement saying, "The magazine stands by its reporting, the facts of which are fully supported—and have been confirmed in detail—by the Los Angeles County coroner's office."
0314_divider_graphic
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
is lashing out at GQ ... claiming the mag was "irresponsible" and just plain wrong when it printed an article that said his older brother Dan died of a drug overdose in 2010.

JGL -- who happens to be this month's GQ coverboy -- posted a message on his website which reads:

"I’m writing this because I have a problem with what their article says about my brother. I’ll be honest, it really made me feel terrible. Here’s a quote:

…the elder Gordon-Levitt died of an alleged drug overdose in 2010.  “It was an accident” is all Joe will say about that.’"

Gordon writes, "The 'allegations' to which [the writer] must be referring were made by a handful of gossip websites. They are factually incorrect according to the coroner’s office and the police department."

He adds, "I don’t like publicly speaking about my brother’s death, but I’m making an exception to correct this irresponsible claim."

"By the way, while I asked the writer not to dwell on how he died, I did say quite a bit about how he lived, and how much he means to me. Dan was a brightly positive, genuinely caring, and brilliantly inspiring person, and I liked the idea of such a wide readership learning about him. My parents and I are disappointed with what the article chose to focus on regarding this sensitive subject."

Calls to GQ have not been returned.

Blue Lake

Come on. He's in denial otherwise he'd say how the guy died.

Lilith

He's been one of my favorite actors since "Mysterious Skin". I think he just wanted the mag to focus more on his love for his brother and what great of a person he was. It's a shame that they just focused on his death rather than what he meant to the actor they wrote a cover story on.

Fitzie

Shouldn't matter that a drug overdose is jucier & more sales worthy than a positive life lived because readers would have already bought & paid for the mag before even coming to the points about his brother! I think his blog statement is very tactful & sincere. Shame on GQ for flat out lying about the cause of death.

Inverbose

I don't know if his brother died of an overdose or not. I didn't know his brother, and I wasn't there. What I will say, is that in the recovery from addiction community the hardest thing addicts have to come to terms with, in order to find sobriety is facing their addiction head on. Co-dependency and denial from family and friends that you have a problem, only keeps you from getting the help you need.

It is often the community around an addict which stops tolerating the addictive behaviors and stops allowing the codependency to happen, that allows an addict to get help.

I am sorry for his loss in either way, but I hope that if there was an issue with drugs or alcohol that they wont try to cover it up. This type of attitude, that it should be a big secret is part of what keeps addict using longer than necessary!

JB

Real peoples lives are so simple. If my brother died of cancer and someone said he died of a drug overdose I would say, "No he died of cancer." End of story.

Instead we get drama about, what people should focus on etc.. I mean I feel for the guy of course, but honestly living openly is a lot easier in the long run.

TMS

I don't get it, is he just upset that they failed to put "accidental" in front of "drug overdose"? After all, that's what he DID die of, a drug overdose. Be it accidental or not, bottom line is he died of an as a result of taking too many drugs.

parlayer

No one can handle drugs, not even the "Hollywood" types that are 10 feet tall and own the world. your get what you ask for. mess with the bull, you get the horn!

Ashlyn

My sympathies go out to Joseph and his family. I couldn't imagine losing a family member. I've been fortunate to not lose a loved one yet. But on a lighter note.... Joseph Gordon-Levitt is SMOKING hot!!

pattycake

BS... denial..the guy was an addict... OD

RoadRig

Saw this guy on Jimmy's last night and he is a lot like Keanu Reeves and that's not a compliment...

Barb

Nowadays, it seems publicists need to really vet these writers for their clients, or celebrities need to do it. Most "journalism" is tabloid sensationalism anymore.

JarJarBinks

Very well said, JGL.

Aussiecam

I've been a fan of Joseph since 3rd Rock days, At the end of the day it's no one else's business how Dan died other than the Gordon Levitt Family and his friends.... The press SHOULD have checked the facts and should not have the right to just say something to stir controversy. My sympathies to JGL and family, I'm sure you're making your family very proud and good on you for standing up to the tabloids!

Bridget

I love JGL. He is a great actor. And I've had a crush on him for most of my life. Look, just because he is in the spotlight doesn't automatically mean he has to air his familys business for the public to gawk at. He wanted to talk about how great his brother was and not how he died. That doesn't mean he is in denial. That just means he doesn't want to chat with a bunch of strangers about how someone he loved died.

It won't hurt any of us not to know the specifics. I'm fine with not knowing. There are plenty of cautionary tales out there to choose from. We don't need to have this specific story.

BTW, if you haven't seen "The Lookout", check it out. Good movie.

Anonymous

Burning Dan, you are will all ways be my friend. Thank you for all the wonderful memories. You were a great friend. All ways smiling and all ways there for me when I needed a friend. We had lots of fun times. I am sorry to hear that the press is giving your family a hard time. May you rest in peace. You'll never be forgotten. Love all ways your friend. :-)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3