Dane Cook Apologizes

for Massacre Joke

-- 'Bad Judgment Call'

7/27/2012 2:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0727_dane_cook_tmz
Dane Cook has issued an apology for cracking a joke about the "Dark Knight Rises" massacre ... saying he regrets telling the joke ... and admits it was a "bad judgment call."

Cook just posted a statement on Twitter saying, "I am devastated by the recent tragedy in Colorado & did not mean to make light of what happened."

"I made a bad judgment call with my material last night & regret making a joke at such a sensitive time. My heart goes out to all of the families & friends of the victims."

As we previously reported, Cook's controversial joke went something like this ... The Batman movie is so bad, had the killing spree not occurred, the people inside of the theater would have been begging for someone to shoot them.

The whole thing went down Thursday night at The Laugh Factory on the Sunset Strip ... and was captured on tape. The footage was later posted to the website DailyCaller.com.

cece

Dane Cook is a complete ****tard and has never been funny. The only reason he made that joke was so people would actually talk about him again. Even bad press is good press, right? Enjoy your 3 minutes of relevancy Dane, then go kill yourself please.

joey batts

not surprising coming from dane.he has never been,nor will he ever be funny

joey batts

he has never been nor will he ever be funny

JILL

I first have to say that I could not be more sorry for the victims and their families that were involved with that horrible tragedy. Having said that, Kat Williams said it best when he called into TMZ Live..and i completely agree with it..

roll3567

It's pretty simple contact NBC tell them you won't watch their channel if his new sitcom airs. tell the advertisers you won't buy their products. That's how you stick it to him.

I agree with op who said I dare you to tell that joke in Colorado. Telling it in Cali takes no guts.

ladyd

I find it in bad taste to make a joke about this. And then to say he is doing his job...give me a break. Has this country lost all morals.....and comon sense

Asian 101

A "bad judgement call" is whoever paid $40 to watch this guy perform at the comedy club!

Terminal Tower

It's Lerpy the Superdouche

Terminal Tower

People become comedians when they want to work in entertainment, but are too ugly to be actors, too stupid to be writers, too tonedeaf to be singers, too clumsy to be dancers, and the audience is guaranteed to be drunk enough most of the time to find ANYTHING funny.

rsmik

It's Dane Cook, what did anyone expect?

Areader

What an idiot! How could he be so insensitive!

oink

The movie did suck

chris

None of you have ever worked as an EMT or something of the like. The only way to really deal with the stress of the job is to joke about it. Seriously, sounds dark and morbid, but it's the only way to not let it bottle up and sink you in depression.

Brooke

Doubt hes really sorry

She's baaaack

I thought the movie was good. It is considered bad, or is it that he's just such an azzwhole that is the only think he thought would make that joke funny. I just don't see it as being a joke.