'Selena' Actress

Dead at 69

7/27/2012 6:08 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/27/2012 12:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0727_lupe_ontiverosupdate_bar
Jennifer Lopez
has released a statement, saying, "I am tremendously saddened by the news of Lupe's passing! I've enjoyed her work throughout the years. She was a great actress and working with her in Selena was an unforgettable experience. She will truly be missed."

0314_divider_graphic
Prolific Mexican-American character actress Lupe Ontiveros, best known for playing the convicted murderer of the Tejano singer in "Selena," has died. She was 69.

Ontiveros was reportedly suffering from liver cancer.

Lupe's "Selena" co-star Jacob Vargas was at her bedside last night and tweeted, "My friend Lupe Ontiveros just passed away. May you rest in peace. Thank you for your great contribution to film and TV. You will be missed."

Some of Lupe's long list of other credits include "The Goonies," "As Good As it Gets," Hill Street Blues" and "Desperate Housewives" -- for which she was nominated for an Emmy.

Ontiveros is survived by her husband and three adult children.

0727_lupe_ontiveros_footer

JoeP

Too bad this news isn't about the lady whose character she played in Selena. Talk about a human waste of space.

furious cupcakes

She was F*N awesome in Selena as Yolanda Saldivar".

moe l.

WOW! At first I thought J-Lo died - what a disappointment when I read that it wasn't her.

Miriam L. Wright

She was a fine actress and it is sad that she died and not that murdering runt YOLANDA SALDIVAR!

Ray D

rip Lupe shes a very kind loving person i am so glad to have as a neighbor she will be missed greatly wonderfull husband n wonderfull sons elyias nick n alex.

Ray D

Brenda

Queremos bailar! We want to dance!

RIP Lupe.

gamepro

now she can rest in peace and not have to go through all that pain and suffering and this is all the more reason to try really hard to fine a cure for all cancers

DaveT

Only know her from the Selena movie, she was really convincing as the character, when I saw her picture here I thought..."it's that b-tch Yolanda!"...good actress, RIP

Ishagn

Wooow ..... Cant believe it .

Bridget

She was amazing in Selena and any other role she tackled. A great talent. RIP Lupe

Dennie

Loved her brief role in "As Good as It Gets!" RIP Ms. Ontiveros."

melissa b

Not too familiar w her, as it has been a while since I've seen Selena. The Goonies? I watch a lot recently....She was the maid?! Am I right? Anyways, may she RIP. Cancer is scary. At least she is not suffering. Condolences to her family and friends and all affected.

CynBin