James Holmes Massacre

Victim's Mother Ready

to Sue Movie Theater

7/30/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0729_james_holmes_aurora_tmzThe mother of one of James Holmes' massacre victims has hired a high-powered attorney to sue the Aurora, CO movie theater where he opened fire ... killing 12 people, and injuring 58 others.

TMZ has learned Shirley Wygal is retaining a lawyer in Los Angeles to handle her case -- and we're told she plans to go after the Century 16 Theater.

Shirley's 32-year-old daughter Rebecca Wingo was shot and killed in the theater.

Sources close to Shirley tell us she believes the theater's emergency exit doors should have been alarmed, or there should have been security guards posted next to them ... especially for a premiere as anticipated as "The Dark Knight Rises."

Witnesses say Holmes entered the theater through an emergency exit door and then started shooting. Authorities think he may have propped the door open earlier from inside the theater.

TMZ broke the story ... a survivor of the shooting spree is planning a similar suit, but he also intends to go after Warner Bros. and Holmes' doctors.

We've reached out to Cinemark -- the theater's corporate owners -- but no reply yet.

Holmes will be in court Monday morning to be formally charged in the massacre.

some guy

Why aren't the people who sold Holmes his weapons being sued? What about the companies that manufactured them in the first place? Seems to me they're just as liable, if not more so.

I think anyone connected to the Dark Knight movie is as responsible for Aurora as people who make trench coats were responsible for Columbine. Were the people who ran that high school when the shooting occurred also sued?

Victims should be concentrating on mourning the loss of their loved ones and moving on instead of trying to take a cheap, blood-soaked payday from this senseless tragedy.

Karly

Its So SAD that this person want to sue the movie theater and WB. I'm sorry for her loss. People are just taking advantage of the situation for MONEY. This people are MONEY HUNGRY.Alarm no alarm the outcome would have been the same. Some one that lost a love one does not have time to go and look for a good lawyer espeacially in another state. only in America i hope she does not get paid out.and if she does get paid off everyone shpuld get part of the money. she should split the money with the other victims.. who are we kidding she will keep the money to herself and buy material stuff so sad

lcmb

Show me the money.

I have tragedy in my life. I must make some cash.

theyDIDwhat

OK let's put up ENTER AT OWN RISK signs in every public building now.

Rebecca

I'm assuming that most of you are NOT from USA... Cuz you guys keep saying "Only in America, and stuff" not all Americans are like that. If (and God forbibs it to happen)that even happens to me, I hope my mom just sits in court to remind the juriors that he destored a family and deserves the death penality. F*ck the money I was to see this guy go to hell and see satan shove pineapples up this dude's azz like in Little Nicky.

Corbs

You cant have security everywhere...If thats the case i don't feel safe eating at IHOP so i want security at every exit and every window. SMH to this money grubbin mother

Rikki Doxx

Sue the theater for what, exactly? Showing a violent movie???

Corbs

Security can't be everywhere 24/7....It's a tragic event that happened but you cant blame the movie theater or WB cuz anything can happen on anyday. If thats the case, I want security all over the exits and at every window they have at IHOP cuz i don't feel safe to eat there. SMH to this money grubbin mother

ShotGunA

People sure are money hungry! I can understand losing someone in something like this, but the ONLY person at fault for this is JAMES HOLMES!

lalet

guards at the doors? seriously? no one will be able to afford to go to the movies if they have to put guards in the theater. This was a very unfortunate thing to happen but I don't think this is the fault of the theater. Its the fault of a psychopath.

TigersMom

If I leave my front door unlocked and someone enters and beats me over the head with a baseball bat, is it my fault because I didn't lock my door? No, it's the idiot who did it. Should I sue Louisville Slugger because they made the bat? No, I would sue the idiot that used it.

A law suit is not going to bring their loved ones back and if getting some cash out of it eases their pain then they are as messed up as the killer is.

Babycakes

Veery sad that her daughter died but dont get how that equates to a huge payday for her so she never has to work again. Is that how you turn tradegy into triumph? Wouldnt have mattered if the doors were alarmed, bullet proof and guarded by swat this lunatic would have found a way to get what he wanted done.

Tworeal

You dummies that are just talking about it being a money thing, It's called pain and suffering dummies. She lost her child to a fool and she is obviously grieving, suffering and in pain. Why not try to get something for what she's going through even though it will never bring her child back.

Nicoleasm

You guys do realize that a jury ruled Va. Tech responsible for their student's deaths. Only 2 parents decided to sue, and everyone thought it was ridiculous, and tech believed they did everything right. I was a junior at UVA at the time, and there was a lot tension in the media b/c of that. But they were found liable. This theatre might be found liable, who knows

ValVal

This theater isn't the only one who doesn't add alarms on their emergency doors or raise up security. A lot of them don't bother add anything to those doors. Basically it's a: "Exit out here faster." I'm sure they will now after this happened.

I don't think this lawsuit is necessary. And I'm sorry, suing WB is a complete BULL. Why? Because there's violence that might've influence this ass? Okay, then go sue game companies, other Hollywood films or television shows.