Shooting Victim's Brother

James Holmes Deserves

DEATH PENALTY

7/31/2012 3:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_rebecca-wingo_james_holmes_2
James Holmes should be sentenced to death ... after suffering in prison for many, many years ... so says the brother of one of the victims in the Colorado massacre.

TMZ spoke with Steven Hernandez ... whose sister Rebecca Wingo was shot and killed, along with 11 other people, during the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" earlier this month.

32-year-old Wingo leaves behind two young daughters.

Prosecutors say they will consider pursuing the death penalty for Holmes -- but will not make a decision until they speak with the families of the victims.

Hernandez has already made up his mind -- explaining, "My sister Rebecca was killed in the theater. My mother is bereft, my wife is distraught and I am heartsick and angry."

"Allow the justice system to punish this murderer. I want to see him sentenced to death and I hope he sits in jail many years waiting to die."

Holmes has been charged with 142 counts for the shooting -- including 24 counts of 1st degree murder.

0731_steven_sub_asset

big'un

Yes he does

Heron

I can understand how he feels. I don't agree that the death penalty is the right choice (I would rather he get life in prison) but I haven't been through what he has and can't imagine the pain he feels.

parlayer

lets give him another chance, he has potential, they were only batman fans!! went to see what "dark nite" ment and found out. nothing good happens after dark.

Carl

How is that news? News would be if he said the shooter DID NOT deserve the death penalty. If we are going to have a death penalty this guy would be one of the most obvious candidates for it.

Passion Of The Taint

KILL HIM LIVE ON TV!!!!!
WITH FIRE OR A ROPE.

I WOULD WATCH IT...SO WOULD YOU.

IF YOU HATE THIS COMMENT, IT JUST SHOWS THAT YOU SUPPORT AND RESPECT JAMES HOMES. AND JESUS WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU.

IceGypsy

turn this sucker over to the general population and let the inmates terrorize him, and let him know what it really feels like to be afraid before they take him out.

ozkar1486

Yuuuuup

buxxy

Don't you worry honey, if he does end up in jail they'll kick his a$$ and if he survives, then he can still have the pleasure of receiving the death sentence. It's a win-win I think.

Lisa

Personally, I don't care if he is insane. Anyone who murders 12 people and injures 58 others - some critically - is a useless waste of space and does not deserve to live. He deserves the death penalty. However, judging by the way he carried out his crime and how he booby-trapped his apartment, I would say he is definitely mentally competent enough to stand trial. He is very well aware of what he did and that it was wrong.

R. Cortez

This kind of thing is really difficult to put into perspective. True criminal intent can only come from a sane adult. If he's not sane, then he can't be held responsible. That doesn't mean he should ever be released, but should he be punished ? Revenge is for the movies, the Government's job is to protect the public not exact revenge.

gamepro

oh well he is going to get the death penalty because he murdered so many people and why not just sentence him now with all the evidence you got and what the victims are telling you pls stop wasting our tax dollars

Tylerlynn01

That's what he deserves

Virtual Insanity

Did TMZ contact the brother or did the brother contact TMZ?

SYLVI212

I certainly don't hope he "sits in jail many years waiting to die". If it were up to me, he'd be fried next week.

GLaDOS

Such a tragic loss this girl has had to endure.
Hopefully she doesn't join the sue happy s***bags that are trying to make money off of this tragedy by suing the theater and Warner Bros.
If you're going to sue.. sue the guy that did the killing. But hey, he doesn't have the deep bank accounts that the theater and WB has so they have to get their money somewhere, right?

Heck, why not sue the state of Colorado. It happened there.. or think bigger. Sue the US government. It happened on US soil. They knew The Dark Knight Rises as going to be huge.. they should have had the National Guard posted in and outside of the theaters.