« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gold Medalist Missy Franklin

NBC Hooked Parents Up

With HOT SEATS

7/31/2012 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_missy_franklin_olympics_gettyThe parents of newly-minted gold medalist Missy Franklin had such bad seats last night, they nearly had to watch her record-breaking swim through binoculars -- but TMZ has learned, NBC upgraded them BIG TIME ... at the very last minute.

A rep for the US Swimming Team tells TMZ, Missy's parents had purchased tickets to watch their daughter dominate the 100m backstroke -- but they were all the way in the nosebleed section.

We're told NBC producers noticed -- and not wanting to miss their emotional reactions on TV, they hooked Missy's parentals up with some sweet seats right near the front.

0731_missy_franklin_parents_olympics
NBC wasn't disappointed either -- 17-year-old Missy eked out a victory over Australian favorite Emily Seebohm for the gold medal ... and her parents went NUTS!

Go USA.

0731_golden_athletes_olympics_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Rita29

I thought it was crazy that her parents were in the nosebleed section too so I’m relieved that NBC has upgraded their seats. There’s no reason why you should have to watch you’re Olympic-medal-winning, record-breaking child through a TV. I’m so proud of Missy and this gave my Dish coworkers and I a lot to talk about today at work. I love watching the Olympics on my phone using the Dish Remote Access app because it saves me so much time. I can set up timers from my phone on my DVR at home, this is so convenient!

Liz

NBC was also kind enough to show a promo for the Today show about her winning gold just minutes before airing the race where she won gold. She won it at the last sec but thanks to NBC we all knew she won because of the Today show ad.

Derran

Go Canada. Canadian Parents, Canadian Swimmer. All have Canadian Passports.

Dennis

I really love this girl ... she has a fantastic personality and the sense of adventure she manifests through it is very special ... hope she continues to win.

KPCATZ

Is that her Grandma or mom?

ProudCanuck

For which, I'm sure, they got an inside edge for the first interview with the gold medal winner and the emotional reunion with her parents on the Today show this morning! How very thoughtful of them! I guess they have to do some desperate things to try and bounce back from delaying live coverage for their prime time spots!

LDB

What makes her so special that her parents get good seats?

BoomerSooner

Awwww. No matter the motive, that was quite nice.

TheRodster21

I'm Canadian and I'm dissapointed that we aren't getting as many medals as we should

Chinaman

Are you sure Missy Franklin were not doped?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3