Joan Rivers

CUFFED to Shopping Cart

In Anti-Costco Protest

8/8/2012 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Video

080712_rivers_launch
Cops were called to an L.A. Costco yesterday -- after comedian Joan Rivers HANDCUFFED herself to a shopping cart during a one-woman protest against the wholesale store ... comparing the place to "Nazi Germany" ... and we got video of the entire debacle.

TMZ broke the story ... Joan claims Costco banned her new book "I Hate Everything ... Starting with Me" because of several racy jokes on the back cover -- so yesterday, she staged a protest in Burbank against what she called unjust censorship.

Joan yelled into a bullhorn, "Costco should not be like Nazi Germany. Next thing they'll be burning the bible."

Joan then walked into the store and handcuffed herself to a random woman's shopping cart, where she continued to scream. Costco management called the cops, who then asked Joan to leave -- which she did. And that was that.

But the footage is hilarious. Even the cops can't help but laugh.

Courtney Smith

This is what I wrote to The View after her apperance on their show.
Dear Ladies,
Being an avid viewer and loving your show. My husband and I recently watched the episode with Joan Rivers book. "I hate everyone..Starting with me..My husband C.David Smith. ( The grandfather of Michael and Alex Smith) purchased Ms. Rivers book because of your endorsement. I will refer you to page 12. My husband purchased this book for me with no knowledge that
his grandchildren Mich ael and Alex Smith who were mudered by their mother would be so disrespected by Ms. Rivers in such a tasteless joke. Michael and Alex had a family that loved them and still mourn the loss. Imagine reading page 12 with no knowledge thinking that your husband would think the book was funny. Then you have to tell him what Ms. Rivers had put in her book about his precious grandchildren. We have yet to inform their father David Smith. I have tremendous amount of respect for all of you. I watch you everyday but I could not believe that you would endorse a book that made a joke out of a mother that is a convicted child murderer of 2 children. What if it was your child or grandchild Ms. Rivers used in her book? I hope that none of you ever have to endure the type of pain of losing your grandchild to murder of their own mother.
Sincerely,
Courtney and C. David Smih

TMZMember12

Wow, I may buy a membership to Costco now.

Bunnie Hinkley

ROFLMAO!!! Joan, your book won't sell anyhow! Your just a stupid OLD lady!

Ana

I think Joan is hilarious! Love her!

verlinda

Senile . She thought the hand cuffs were her QVC Bracelets

seamus

Read her book, funny as hell!! While I admire Joans work ethic and this stunt I guess could be considered funny, did Joan ever consider retiring? How much more attention and money does Joan need?

Amber

Hmmm, free advertising for her new book?? Guess what, she made it work!!!

me

funny that they say its racy because at the Costco by me they have a huge display of 50 Shades Of Grey. I took a picture to show people because I thought it was crazy

awesomewave

What a Spaceball.

LiLo's boy toy

Is she still around, I figurd she would of melted away by now,

parlayer

cops job is half done, now the other wrist.

Joao

Unprofessional police force.

Joey

SHE SHOULD HAVE HANDCUFFED HERSELF TO A MOVING BUS DUMB BITZH

Blah

What an idiot.

Yes, it is a free country Joan...which means that Costco has to freedom to choose whether or not they sell your book.

And SHAME ON YOU for comparing it to Nazi Germany. All those fat shoppers sure did look like Auschwitz survivors, didn't they???

Baker

Oh Joan, Obama and all of you Hollywood liberals will be the ones burning the Bible.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments