Joan Rivers

CUFFED to Shopping Cart

In Anti-Costco Protest

8/8/2012 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Video

080712_rivers_launch
Cops were called to an L.A. Costco yesterday -- after comedian Joan Rivers HANDCUFFED herself to a shopping cart during a one-woman protest against the wholesale store ... comparing the place to "Nazi Germany" ... and we got video of the entire debacle.

TMZ broke the story ... Joan claims Costco banned her new book "I Hate Everything ... Starting with Me" because of several racy jokes on the back cover -- so yesterday, she staged a protest in Burbank against what she called unjust censorship.

Joan yelled into a bullhorn, "Costco should not be like Nazi Germany. Next thing they'll be burning the bible."

Joan then walked into the store and handcuffed herself to a random woman's shopping cart, where she continued to scream. Costco management called the cops, who then asked Joan to leave -- which she did. And that was that.

But the footage is hilarious. Even the cops can't help but laugh.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Suzy

Costco has the right to NOT sell a book Just like any store that chooses not to carry a certain item. They aren't stopping her publication .. so her amendment rights have not been stepped on. This is all hoopla to sell a book and it went too far. She handcuffed herself to a shopping cart that if you notice had a baby in her car seat.. How safe was that silly act. And then she was Cursing with those little kids running around her. She's a fool. I support Coscto's decision to NOT sell a book they don't want to sell. They aren't a book store... they sell a number of books they believe will be money makers... perhaps they didn't see this as a profitable item.. I sure don't. Shame on that silly woman -- and talking about Nazi Germany... Seriously, she needs medication... and Quickly

Vampyr

yo American Mom, by the way, Costco doesn't make, computers or milk, they buy it from the 'manufacturer' and sell it just like walmart, kmart,saveco, target, walgreens, or any other retailer, and don't pick on any company until you know the facts, I have been a Costco shopper for over 23 years, and have NEVER met ANYONE EVER that got sick from the milk that they provide for sale (not make in their own farm). Couldn't it have been the vodka shooters they did before the milk they drank...get a grip Joan, and you American MoM

sunnyjazzislove

Hahaha!! Oh, Joan... I hope you never die. :)

American Mom

Thank God we live in America where we all don't have to shop at warehouses for our food.

sam a

If she wanted to look incompetent, she succeeded in my opinion. She yells about her 1st amendment rights. Joan, it says what the GOVERNMENT cannot do. Costco is a business and can refues to sell anything it wants. There CAN be bad publicity as this only amkes her, imho, look foolish. If i had the cart she handcuffed herselt to, I'd have requested the police arrest here for illegal detainment and I WOULD have requested prosecution and been willing to testify (and no, i wouldn't have accepted ANYTHING from her to back down.)

Dana

Did anyone notice the cop sniffing his fingers in this video and I can't believe the people at TMZ didn't comment on that.

Billyrob

The publicity stunt was an expensive one for Ms. Rivers,
because she bought the handcuffs at Costco,
where the cheapest box costs $850 for 200.
(Expect to see Rivers on QVC soon selling the rest)
More at: http://wp.me/p1VsTV-2oK

Tawnytiger

How about you shut the F up! Im tired of people crying out about censorship to start a riot that only benefits themselves. Costco has the RIGHT to choose what products that carry and I have the right to buy any book I want. I will not be buying this book now. Guess what Joan, thats my right!

The Truth Is Out There

Joan will do anything to sell a book, a show, or her jewelry..... She's so crazy..........I love her!

stardoc

how can these people (including the Kardasian clan) dominate media is beyond me...are ppl in USA getting dumber everyday???...why are people even watching her shows???

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6