Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

Mary

I don't think she intended to tick anyone off. I believe she was trying to keep her comments light. I took her response to mean that she hopes she did ok as a mom since her kids have done well so far. Why does everyone have to take everything personally and get so bent out of shape about anything anyone says? Chill out!

esommerman

She Has Fans? She is a creature to be shunned not followed . She should have added the word YET to that statement.

Linda

I have never liked the stupid woman.Remember she is the one that had the child labor shops.

tili.SPORTS

She's a pious, high-brow idiot. And not a very good journalist. Actually, watching her for 2 seconds is like eating too much cheesecake. People like this make me sick. What about her cheating husband? Should we judge her skills at "wifing?" GMAB. btw: I'm in recovery, have great parents, and would never, never make them the cause.

Frank

Gifford please drug addition is a disease. If you are such a christian with the love of God in your heart, then you should be more compassionate and understanding not the hardliner that your coming across as..insensitive and clueless.

Ave Joe

DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION

Oh SO Now It's a Disease? A Chornic One is it?
Then by All Means It came from their Parents.. Seeing as Most Diseases are GENERIC!

And They should qualify for SS Disability as well

Only way to Beat Drug Addicktion? You either have to go into Isolation on a Remote Island
Or You Have to DIE, That is the Only way to Be Drug Attticktion

Doomsday77

omg....being a drug addict, alcoholic etc is NOT a DISEASE!!! STOP calling it a DISEASE you ****ing morons!!!!!

Jeremiah Severino

I always thought you were a well meaning, but uneducated and ill informed individual. Now I'm convinced. You know not what you are addressing!
And the way you glorify alcohol...!?

gerald

she should be taken off the air. She is not very good and NBC needs someone smarted.

shir

I wouldn't call us "FANS". We are a group of bereaved parents that have had a child die from one cause or another. To hear someone say anyone is a bad parent because of a child having an addition is appalling. We don't know from minute to minute what lies ahead of any of us. No parent wants their child to die and would pay any amount of money to have their child back and to prevent an addiction, disease, accident, suicide, etc. Kathie's remarks obviously come from a very uneducated brain. No doubt she probably didn't mean to stir this up but good grief Kathie Lee, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. Parenting is complex, our environment is complex, addiction is complex and depression is complex. At the end of the day, the best parents love and support their children through it all. People need to be educated in this world instead of putting people down for things they know nothing about. I have never been a fan and never will be. She has touched a nerve in the bereaved parent community and if any one of us was a fan-she has sure lost them now. How do you feel today Ms. Gifford. Are you proud of yourself now or do you even care about what you said. How many friends of yours have lost a child? What do they think of you now? Whether anyone admits it or not (in your circle of friends) I am positive they will think less of you now. Shame on you for thinking so highly of your self and discounting others who do not have their child anymore. UGH......You make me sick.

ANGEL

why blame others its so easy to blame others for ones poor choices in life I also feel that drug addiction is not a disease, but a bad habit why blame others for our poor choices in life

Marky

We all have different parents.. My brother was treated like a little god.. I was not.. He was worshiped by my mother. When he got married we GAVE him our house. He died at 45 of BOOZE...... The world didnt think the sun rose and set on his ass and he couldnt cope with being "average" in the eyes of the real world. My mother killed him with her enabling. Booze was just the weapon... Kathy Lee is 100% spot ON

bobs36hotrod

I would not worry to much. Its just the Kettle Calling Herself Black. She is also a falure, Just look at her Marriage. Poor husband had to go to another for Love.
BOB !~

pmlreynolds

Of my five children, one is a drug addict. So am I 4/5 a good parent and 1/5 a bad parent?

Noel

Rearing children in this day and age is a crap shoot! Kids watch their parents take meds for every little malady. They are not properly educated as to the severe risks taking both legal and illegal drugs. By the time an average child in the U.S. reaches their early teens, they have watched over 100,000 drug ads on TV! It's a wonder they're not all addicts!

Question: Do you know how many countries practicing western medicine allow television advertising to promote prescriptive medications?

Answer: Two

Q: Which ones?

A; The U.S. and New Zealand

Previous 15 Comments | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments