Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

matt

I guess Kathy was a failure in sex, that's why her husband strayed.

Gene

KLG is not an old hag. She is not a drunk. She is NOT a thoughtless person. Her childern are very proud of their Mother as KL is of her childern. KLG did not say any thing out of line. The people who wrote the negative comments are the people who are wrong. I am not a close friend, but consider myself a friend of the KLG family and I am proud to be their friend.

karen shutt

CLUELESS,I am the parent of an addict!!!Lots of families intact and not suffering through addiction with there children!!!!!!!Prescription meds ,heroin etc really ignorant too blame parents!!Her cheating husband etc must have been her fault really!!!IGNORANCE ISNT BLISS!!

John

She's a loud mouth no body. Why they keep coming up with shows for her to do is beyond me. She should just go sink quietly to the bottom of a lake somewhere and keep her damned mouth shut. No one cares what she has to say to thinks. Go back to the sweatshops in China that you own. Maybe they miss you, you tired old cow.

Cecila

A very bad comment to make "Kathiie Lee" it has nothing to do with being a "good parent", that makes children become drug addicts! Has your child ever been seriously injured and had to be put on pain meds.? didn't think so...this is one thing that can contribute to drug addiction,...serious injuries"! It is not that person's fault that they get addicted, nor the parents....the meds have warnings that they could be habit forming....so there is an answer for that one....another is when a child grows up and goes out into this corrupted world, all it's about anymore, is drugs, drugs, and more drugs....the temptation is enormous....all it takes is one person, who could possibly be a friend of the child, to offer them something....they want them to just try it...and the next thing that happens... they like the feeling, and want more....and the friend that gave it to them was persuaded in the same way....nothing to do with parenting,. What our children do when they are out in the world is something we can't control....the stuff is being sold like candy....and it's not the parents fault....you have a lot to learn, I hope this doesn't happen to your children, but unless you are going to be with them every second of every day, you are not going to have any control over what they may or may not do....

ANGEL

why blame others its so easy to blame others for ones poor choices in life I also feel that drug addiction is not a disease, but a bad habit why blame others for our poor choices in life

Gale Futt

Come on, Kathy Lee, God is a perfect parent and the failures of His children know no ends... my brother (now 55) and I, also, were raised by the same parents (both deceased), yet he has struggled for years with drug addiction. My father was an engineer, my mother was at home with us, a homemaker and artist. My brother's addiction was a great pain and mystery to them, but they loved him to the end.

Donald

Kathy, a parent is no less responsible for a child's addiction as a WIFE is responsible for her HUSBAND'S CHEATING. Were you responsible for Frank's infidelities? See? People could paint you with that same brush. Not nice is it?

kade

Kathie Lee is 100% right. The druggie producing parents can't stand the truth.

kade

My dad kicked out my meth head stepbrother. My stepmother would have spent every dime they had on rehab for her loser son but my dad had the good sense to put his foot down and kick the druggie out. No more money for rehab, lawyers or bail. There's no question that the lack of parenting and rules my stepbrother had growing up made him into the drug addict loser he is today.

Jeanne McMillan

How arrogant of her to take all of the credit for her children never taking drugs...(as far as she knows)...and so all is well with her children. I know fantastic parents with great kids, who had dealt with this with one of their three children. But with love, support and dilligence, never gave up, and got through it. Now, those are parents who deserve to be proud of themselves! God bless them. Remember, no matter who you are, or how you raise your children, "But by the grace of God go I."

Russell Palmer

I am with her. Parents who have druggies for kids, usually get them from exampling the drugs, or allowing them to do it.

Nichole

I doubt she meant anything by it, whenever I do something good my mother says I mustve done something right. Or when people say your children are so respectful she says the same thing. Shes also said hey my kids arent always in trouble i mustve done something right. Doesnt mean shes criticizing everyone else. Shes just saying SHE surprisingly did a good job. Not that everyone else sucks.

Betty Martinez

You are not familiarize with addictions. If so, there is no way for you to be making comments when you don't know what you are talking about. Addicted parents are lovable people that have a disease. Do you know how many childeren of addicted parents? Doctors, lawyers as well as working people. There are a lot of children of parents without any addiction that are addicted themselves and the things they do are terrible. However there are also children of addicted parents that are responsible, educated citizens. Before you open your big mouth check your facts and use common sense

Carol M

I am appaulled that someone who obviously knows "nothing" about the illness of drug addiction would assume that "bad parenting skills" is the reason for this worldwide epidemic! Ignorance is bliss in her case. All I can say is I pray she never has to endure the pain and torment of seeing one or more of her children struggle with this dreaded disease only to lose the battle. This disease doesn't care who it attacks. The rich, poor, educated, uneducated, upper class, middle class, good parent, or bad parent...it doesn't matter! Obviously, it makes her feel better about herself to attack others. Poor woman... such a shallow, plastic, pathetic person.

Previous 15 Comments | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments