Kathie Lee Gifford

RIPPED by Fans for

Dissing Parents of Druggies

8/8/2012 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_kathy-lee-gifford_tmz
Kathie Lee Gifford
is being SKEWERED by hordes of angry fans as we speak ... one even calling her a "thoughtless human being" -- after the TV personality strongly implied that parents of drug addicts were FAILURES.

Kathie recently spoke to Family Circle magazine -- and in the interview, she said, "I'm not a perfect mom, but my kids haven't been arrested, in rehab or kicked out of school, so I must be doing something right!"

The implication -- parents of kids who HAVE been arrested or struggled with drug addictions are NOT doing something right.

This didn't sit too well with many of Kathie's fans -- who have since taken to the talk show host's Facebook page to express their disgust.

Among the comments -- "Well Kathy, here is a pic of my little brother who we lost at the age of 33 yrs old due to a DISEASE called DRUG ADDICTION ... I find it funny we were both raised by the same woman called MOM ... I am NOT an ADDICT and NEVER was ... Poor parenting?? Gimme a break."

"Shame on you Kathie Lee Gifford, shame on you. You are a thoughtless human being."

"Kathy do you know the first thing they teach you in family counseling for loved ones of addicts? The three C's; you DIDN'T cause it, you CAN'T cure it, and you CAN'T control it."

"Poor parenting?? God bless you and your great parenting skills you suck at being educated on addiction."

"I'm glad you never had to face any of your babies drowning in a disease they could not be cured from. I lost my baby at the age of 32 to a heroin overdose in Sept 2010. I am a doctor and worked hard my entire life to give her the best."

So we gotta ask ...

happypat35

She makes it real easy for people not to like her....She must have been doing something wrong when her husband CHEATED on her. I hope one of her children's doesn't ever do anything wrong or she won't HEAR the end of it. Ms. Saint. NBC please get RID of her.

mexican

Cant believe people actually believe that, there actually drinking alcohol on there show......LMAO....Been in the audience and its not really alcohol.

John

People who think that parents of addicts are awesome parents then they need to put the pipe down.

Its been proven over and over that most addicts have issues or trauma while growing up. Most have seen their parents use or they are also addicts as well..

Only a small percent become addicts and their parents were good.

Hell this is so common of a issue one of the first things a drug counselor will ask the person in rehab is about their parents and childhood..

Parents also have a issue in giving in or supporting the addict so they can keep on using. Hell some parents use with their kids or do crap like allowing them to drink at 13/up because they say the kid will do it anyways. I seen one lady let her 10yo kid smoke.

Beverly

Sorry. In my anger I meant to say - You are STUPID. Guess it doesn't make me look too bright.

Kali

She chose the wrong wording but let's face it. There are far too many drug addicted kids around because their parents have decided that they too are in a second childhood. These parents of today never know where their kids are, how their educational needs are being handled, and why they constantly have to be on anti-depressants or adderall. These kids now are the worst-behaved generation I have ever seen. Every article about a drug-addicted teen starts with these words by their parents:
"I had no idea". Why do today's parents never have any idea why their kids are on drugs? My mom knew where I was every minute of the day and I didn't have a cell or the internet. It's like the more the kids have the worst they act.

tmzcommenter

She's right. I'm tired of parents blaming everyone else for their children's failures in life. It is the parents fault. Take a look at yourself and accept that you screwed up.

Sunset

Kathie Lee Gifford doesn't have fans, just people who happen to see a train wreck in the morning. Silly lush.

WhatsRight

Kathy Lee needs to shut her drunk piehole. This is the same woman who carelessly interviewed Martin Short and asked how his dead wife was. This woman is an idiot and doesn't belong on Television. Sadly we give a forum to stupidity, hence Jersey Shore, The Kardashians and countless backwoods rednecks diggin' for fish and buying Storage Units. #MediahasnoIQ

Liz

gimme a freaking break, now is a disease, or you are born an addict, pedophiles can have the same stupid argument...this society where people can't take responsibility for anything is disgusting...

Joey

THIS HAF=GGARD OLD BITCH SHOULD THINK BEFORE SHE OPENS HER DRUNKEN MOUTH SHE SHOULD BE EMBARASSED FOR THE WAY SHE WAS PIMPING HER TALENTLESS CHILDREN TO BECOME ACTORS. THE KIDS HAVE NO TALENT AT ALL I GUESS THEY TAKE AFTER MOMMY DEAREST

xiam007

Kathy, to bad you couldn't do your husband Frank right....lol? Bad wifey anyone????

WhatsRight

I'm glad KLG said what she did. It demonstrates that ignorance still exists and we can see it first hand. Those saying Parents of Addicts are failures are not entierly correct. I will say there ARE parents who failed, John Phillips of the Momma & the Papas, That's failure as a parent.
Ozzy & Sharron Osbourne, Failure as parents. However there ARE hard working, honest folks in the world that couldn't stop the addiction freight train if the wanted to. It happens, and it's almost impossible to stop no matter what you try. However, to compress every parent into one lump sum when it comes to Addiction is careless at best. KLG, you are NOT perfect as you sit and drink on TV all day long, catch a buzz and say you're the perfect parent. You fail everyday.

MsSuburbia

Well, Kathie Lee--my husband's never cheated on me, so I must be doing something right as a WIFE.

Don Pedro

When a husband strays....it must be because the wife did something wrong...right Kathy?

MsSuburbia

Some kids turn out great IN SPITE OF bad parenting.