« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Belgian Cycling Federation

We're ASHAMED Of

Our Drunken Athlete

8/9/2012 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0809_pcn_gijs_van_hoecke_belgian_cyclingBelgian cyclist Gijs Van Hoecke didn't just stain the crotchel region of his pants during a drunken post-event nightclub bender in London ... he stained the good reputation of the Belgian Cycling Federation ... so says the org.

We posted the photos ... showing a completely wrecked Van Hoecke being carried out of a British nightclub earlier this week ... barely able stand or keep his eyes open.

We reached out to the BCF for comment ... and a rep told us, "I can let you know that the Belgian Cycling Federation regrets the conduct of [Gijs Van Hoecke] after the competitions."

In fact, the Belgian Olympic Committee reportedly put GVH on a plane and flew him home after the pics came out.

According to reports, the cyclist told his home paper, "I made a big mistake. I'm happy my parents didn't tell me off. They understand that I needed this" ... but since we don't speak Dutch, TMZ can't confirm the accuracy of the translation.

Het spijt me.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Oval Beach

Ummm...they don't speak dutch in Belgium....they speak flemish...TMZ...COME ON!!!!

maggie

Oh come on people - give the guy a break! Are you seriously saying you've never gone out on a bender yourself? Oh please, the hypocrisy. Poor lad pissed his pants and all. (suppressing major chuckles here)

Mike44090

Give the guy a break. He went on a bender after losing the biggest competition of his life, who hasn't at one point in their life, he just went too far. Let's all just be grateful their weren't hundreds of cameras there to capture our indiscretions.

TheEric

he trained his ass off for four years and lost the biggest race of his life...i would have put him on a plane back to Belgium if he didn't get trashed that night...

BTW, where does Belgium get off being so high and mighty? They're famous for waffles and chocolate...That's it...

ThirdFromTheLeft

As far as I know, you're not even allowed to leave pubs / clubs in London until you're black-out drunk.
This is a city that has to erect mobile medical stations on every block, every New Year's eve because so many people get alcohol poisoning and die.

northern gypsy

of course the cyclist org are going to issue this type of statement...however...G.V.H. did his best (and lost) during the games...perhaps his parents are so understanding because they know what he had to go through just to get to that level of excellence...again...cut the kid some slack !

탑 TOP

There's nothing wrong with drinking, just know your limit. Go hard indoors where you're not in the public eye x

ZB

I can't think of many other times more fitting than after your Olympics to blow off some steam. He had his friends there to take care of him. Probably not his proudest moment....but most kids have been there at least once...and didn't have the pressure of the Olympics to blow off. So let the kid be. I promise the hangover and the pictures will be punishment enough lol

The New Improved Sock Puppet

It just shows that the kid can't hold his booze which probably means he doesn't drink much. What's to be ashamed of? I wonder how many of those people have been falling down drunk at one point in their lives. More power to him. He earned it, although I bet he felt like death warmed over in the morning.

Pudding Tang

Yep, that looks like about a 2 day hangover......... TMZ, you don't speak dutch?... the internet is a powerful tool that's not just for celebrity gossip. =

yayawhateva

Het spijt me means I regret it, or, it shames me... obviously he doesn't drink enough to know his limit... he had every right to celebrate!!

anony

He should be the new spokesman for Bjorn Borg underwear.

furious cupcakes

The Belgian Cycling Federation could have turned this story on it's head if they had released a fun statement , something clever and supportive. Releasing statements about shame brings shame. There is no shame to be had here. This is not his finest hour, but damn it, HE earned the right to party!

goldenvu

That's ok, I am from Belgium and I do not speak Dutch either, not so much of an international language. So TMZ, once again you send an athlete home, didn't you do the same thing at the X-games recently? Truly, the shame is on you...

Daniel

Though it sounds alike, people in Belgium actually speak "Flemish" not "Dutch".

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments