« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gabby Douglas

College Kid Took My Nickname

8/18/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0815_gabby_douglas_getty
If Gabby Douglas wants to cash in on her "Flying Squirrel" nickname ... she's gonna have to battle a college kid who locked up the trademark while Gabby was still competing in the Olympics.

TMZ has learned ... Fordham University business student A.J. Rotonde filed to trademark the phrase on August 6 with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office for a mere $325.

Rotonde tells us he decided to scoop up Gabby's handle after watching her destroy the competition in London.

A.J. has NO connection to Gabby or U.S. gymnastics, but tells us he plans to slap "Flying Squirrel" on T-shirts and other merchandise -- but before he cashes in the USPTO has to approve his application ... which could take several months.

Gabby can still challenge A.J.'s filing and apply to trademark the phrase herself.

A.J. tells us he'd be happy to sell the TM back to the gymnast ... for the right price, of course.

We called Gabby's camp to see if she's going to go for the block -- but so far, no response.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

I luv u RPattz!

What is up with these athletes trademarking catch-phrases and nicknames?

Poor Leno

A.J. Rotonde well done i would done the same thing and i see you have an eye for business, you will reach beyond anything you ever imagined.

liz

smart dude..
the 'flying squirrel', am i the only one who finds this hilariously derogatory ... heh

SUSAN

I have never made a comment before because I always thought the comments were made by a bunch of losers that had too much time on their hands. It has now been confirmed!!
Do people realize the country we live in??
It's the land of oppurtunity!!
My ansestors risked their lives to live in this counrty!! Hats off to this smart youbng college kid!!

SUSAN

I have never taken the time for comments. I have always viewed them as comments made from losers with too much time on their hands. After reading just a few my thoughts have been confirmed!
I am not sure if you are aware that we live in America..the land of oppurtunity??
Our ancestors risked their lives to live here!!
Hats off to this smart young college kid!!
If you are reading this but I am sure you are too smart to waste your time..Good Luck!
Everyone else is jealous!!

Genjerleigh

This guy is a douche bag

RandomTandem

what a douche that guy is!

ralphie the one-eyed

Rocky already has the TM.

ralphie

Rocky already has the TM.

PuffMomma

Hats off to AJ! We send our kids to school to become educated and identify opportunities/ innovative ways to make money. If I were Gabby, I would hire AJ to lead my marketing and sales team. He's more effective than her current advisors!

Ray

Yes, one douchbag comes out of no where to cash in on the golden girl Gabby Douglas! Well, Gabby will simply tell the so-called college kid "The name 'Flying Squirrel' was given to me by my gymnastics coach following my performance! So, go and iron it out with him!!! What about that! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

rsmik