Director Tony Scott

Commits Suicide

Jumps Off L.A. Bridge

8/19/2012 8:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

celeb_tony_scott_getty
Famed director Tony Scott -- who directed "Top Gun" among many other major films -- jumped to his death today off an L.A. bridge ... this according to the L.A. County Coroner.

According to the Coroner, 68-year-old Scott -- Ridley Scott's brother -- jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island around 12:30pm.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn said a suicide note was found in Scott's Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Scott directed such films as "Top Gun," "Beverly Hills Cop II," "Enemy of the State," and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Authorities used sonar equipment to find Scott's body in the port's murky waters. His body was recovered at approximately 4:30pm ... four hours after he jumped.

His body has since been turned over to coroner officials.

0820_tony_scott_remembering_footer_v2

Smokie

Damn, that sucks!

Arnie

A Toyota Prius? I'd kill myself too if I owned one.

TiffC

So, that's a 'before' picture I'm guessing?

Tom

My condolences to his family. I enjoyed all his movies immensely. Top Gun is still great today.

alex93

I was actually at the San Pedro harbor taking a tour of the US Naval ships and as we went to the loading deck around 12:15 am, our Tour was interrupted by the sirens of the Coast Guard and Harbor Police racing towards the bridge. Most of us thought that maybe a ship's engine had stalled in the middle of the harbor and needed an emergency tow but unfortunately the reason was much more severe. I asked the Sea Cadet next to me who at the time was gazing thru a pair of binoculars if he knew what happened, he whispered, "someone jumped" Such a sad thing that happened on such a beautiful day at the LA Harbor. Suicide is never the answer, nonetheless RIP

Jael

That's just horrible news to hear. I was using the Vincent Thomas Bridge to get to Long Beach just this afternoon. Had I been on it half an hour later, I would have caught that horrible scene.

myopinion

wow... so sad, things could not have been that bad to take your life.

RIP

LDB

He was still grieving over Tomkats divorce m

alex93

Mason H

R.I.P. At least your pain is over, it's just sad that you couldn't find peace while you were still alive. Your memory will live on in the great movies you left for us. My heart goes out to your family and Ridley.

Treklimr

This is so sad. I pray he now rests in peace.

JimmydeansausageCo.

I think something was closing in, or something personal was about to come out.

This is a take something to your grave kind of action. I hope I'm wrong.

Never know with these veterans.

Arnie

You can see it in his eyes in that picture:
"You take ONE MORE fricken PICTURE of me... and I'm gonna JUMP!"

Soamazing

That bridge is very high. Wonder if he pondered and who saw him. It was afternoon. RIP

Kay

I can't believe how many stupid, heartless and sicko comments I'm seeing here and everywhere else on the web about Tony and his death. Nobody knows why he did this yet and maybe we never will. For someone to go as far as to end their life implies a drastic problem in their life - depression, illness, persecution or whatever else we cannot imagine. Have some heart people, quit the jokes and just have some empathy for him and sympathy for his family instead of making dumbass jokes and catty comments. Heck, maybe that's why he died - sick of a heartless world.