'Dark Knight Rises'

Victim's Family Hires

Casey Anthony Lawyer

8/20/2012 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0806_jose-baez_rabecca_wingo_gettyThe man who led Casey Anthony's defense team to victory in her murder case has officially been tapped to represent the mother of one of the "Dark Knight" massacre victims ... TMZ has learned.

Attorney Jose Baez is now representing Shirley Wygal -- whose 32-year-old daughter Rebecca Wingo (above, right) was shot and killed by James Holmes inside the Century 16 Theater in Aurora, CO.

As we previously reported ... Shirley believes the theater is partially to blame for the tragedy claiming the emergency exit doors should have been alarmed, or there should have been security guards posted next to them.

Wygal tells TMZ, "When police came that night with official word, Rebecca's baby asked, 'How did he get in?' Dissatisfied with the answer, she asked again. At just 5 years old, she wants to know how it could happen and so do I. If any entity had an obligation to protect the innocent and did not, then every survivor and loved one left behind must hold them accountable. The first step is a timely and thorough investigation."

She continues, "I've engaged a firm large enough to help us all. I am confident in their expertise and appreciate their making this a priority. Rebecca would love these attorneys. As a mom, she'd want her girls to have the truth. As a daughter, she'd insist I find that truth for them."

tucker

While I am truly sorry for her loss, gimme a break. The only one at fault is the gunman. Nobody should be looking to make a buck off of this tragedy. Especially the morher of a 32 year old woman. I mean if there were minor child left needing support maybe, but this woman just wants some cash.

Sami

Could it be because it might get on tv, because he has a name for himself? I hate to say that but why would anyone hire HIM?

Jayla

Now, TMZ, it's not very nice when you omit parts of direct quotes in your story. It leaves people with the wrong impression-As we know from the WESH report, the actual comments this mother made were:

"I've engaged a firm that operates off of Caylee's blood money. I am confident that Jose will play the Latino victim role. Rebecca would despise these attorneys because, as a mom, she thought Jose was the s***bag who helped a murderer get acquitted. As a daughter, she was glad I never wrapped her in trash bags, then in a laundry bag, let her rot in the trunk, and then tossed her in a swamp for the scavengers. "

I guess I am not suprised at this awful reporting, TMZ. But, as the Baez firm motto goes, "Everyone Lies, Everyone Dies."

(The above comment made about as much sense as this lady's choice in attorneys)

Max Smart

You'd think they'd at least wait and see how it all plays out in court. Anything for a fast buck. A couple of locked entrances and extra security guards is never going to prevent a lone nutter for playing out his sick fantasy. It's sad that some families want to make innocent people feel guilty for something that they had no control over, just for some extra money.

Susan62509

Why did she hire a defense attorney? She needs a prosecution attorney if she plans to sue the theater.

Laura

I am sorry for these family's losses, but this woman's story isn't landing with me. And this could have happened in any theater, in any city--until now, nobody felt we needed to be afraid in a movie theater.

Nicole

I have personally been to that movie theater (I live nearby,) and never did I feel unsafe. The doors are Exit Doors, not EMERGENCY Exit Doors. There was no reason for the theater to do more than they did, I never felt unsafe.
The actions of this woman's family truly disgust me. Jose Baez?

Mason H

And as a human being would your daughter approve of you using her death to try and make a quick buck by suing random people with money? This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THEATER OWNERS, IT WASN'T THEIR FAULT.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

They should have been psychic and predicted this would happen.

Every single exit in a building is an emergency exit.

Susan62509

Hello world.......Baez is a defense lawyer, not a prosecutor. This woman isn't thinking clearly and the worse thing you can do in filing a lawsuit is to hire someone out of State. You NEVER do that. Baez would have to be licensed in Colorado first of all and second if Baez takes her case, he's a dirt bag because he is not trained as a prosecutor. Also it's fire department regulations that all exit doors have to be unlocked from the inside in all public buildings in case of fire, etc.

taz

I know her family is hurting and angry that she was taken away like that but blaming the theater is off base. What person goes to the movies and expects it to be a fortified safe house? Nobody could have expected that a nut would come in and do what he did.

tenley

Yeah, because if there's one thing Casey Anthony's lawyer is good at, it's working the court to get justice for little girls.

sugarneach2012

This poor poor woman, she will soon realize that he didn't win because he is brilliant...he won because the jury was stupid...if she thinks he's ever going to get lucky again...sadly mistaken.....give him another chance to make money off a death

gpzjack

I always find iit so sad that after such a horrible tragedy all anyone can think about is getting paid. Lawyers truly are the s*** of the earth.

the_truth_hurts

since she hired this POS,I hope she gets nothing...no way a baby killer should be free

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments