Michael Clarke Duncan

Died from

Respiratory Failure

9/10/2012 3:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0910_MCD_doc_launch
Michael Clarke Duncan died from respiratory failure, weeks after going into cardiac arrest ... this according to the actor's death certificate.

According to the doc, obtained by TMZ, respiratory failure is listed as the immediate cause of death.

One of the underlying causes of Michael's death was anoxic encephalopathy (severe lack of oxygen to the brain). As we first reported, MCD's organs were severely damaged during the minutes following his initial cardiac episode on July 13th, when the actor went without oxygen for five whole minutes.

Other underlying causes include ventricular fibrillation (irregular quivering heartbeat), and acute myocardial infarction (heart attack).

Organ nodules (sarcoidosis) were a contributing factor to MCD's death.

Two weeks after he went into cardiac arrest, MCD also received a tracheotomy, presumably to aid in breathing.

MCD passed on September 3rd. He was 54.

There's a problem here

TMZ puhleeese. He received a trachetomy "presumably" to help with his breathing? What else do they do with trachs ... appendectomies? Thank god your commenters have a bit of intelligence because you have a gaggle of idiots working for you.

Anonymous

Omarosa killed him!

joe gillis

any way we can pin this on dr murray?

Linda MC

Why doesn't anyone mention the steroids he was on and that they would have contributed to his heart attack and his death?

vickyd0912

so sad!!!!!

caramelchick123

@Ken, how dare you blame Omarosa. She found him, which means he could have gone without oxygen those 5 minutes BEFORE she found him. Obviously she was doing something right if he wasnt dead bt the time she found him and the arrival of ambulance. You are full of crap!

taut

Did he suffer longer than what was originally thought because no one knew what his problem truely was? Especially starting with the heart attack and the 'mouth to mouth' ressusitating attempt and further? Please take note FAMILY something needs to be done so this won't happen to others and those trying to show helpfulness but instead causing more discomfort and harm to the stricken one...especially without proper training!

mm

RIP big man. Wonder what will happen with "The Finder" love that show BUT it will not be the same without MCD!

Veronicajeanne

I have this terrible disease (Sarcoidosis) and I think it should be noted on his death certificate that his cause of death was Sarcoidosis. Unfortunately, cause of death is usually marked as one of the MANY results of this disease. Heart attack, stroke, respiratory failure, kidney disease--the list goes on and on. It's like a cancer the way it attacks us, and yet it is largely ignored in medical circles and research grants because it isn't listed as a direct cause of death. It makes me angry. If you look it up, it is treated as if it's no more dangerous than the common cold. For most, it's not. For the rest of us, it will kill us. And when it kills me, I have instructed my family to let the world know what did it.

Darlene

I am very sad to see him gone. My thoughts and prayers go to his family. RIP

ragu4u

Do I detect another David Carradine type death here?

jan

This is very sad. I am a heart attack victim myself and have learned that life can be gone in a second. I think it is important for all of us to learn CPR or have a cpr machine in the house. MCD seems to have been loved by everyone. Omaroso obviously loved him too and did her best when he went into cardiac arrest. Please people don't critiscize--just wish her well and let him rest in peace. I lost my baby uncle last year when after a heart attack and triple bypass he stayed in a coma and slowly his organs died..eventually he was taken off of life support. I never got to say goodbye. The pain of losing those we love is horrible. Have compassion please.

Veronicajeanne

I have Sarcoidosis, and it makes me angry every time I see a cause of death that is a result of Sarcoidosis (i.e. respiratory failure) instead of the actual cause. If a person dies because cancer destroyed their lungs, they are listed as dying of cancer. Not accepting this horrible disease for what it is has prevented research and grant money from finding new treatments and saving lives. If you look it up, it is treated as if it is no more dangerous than the common cold, and in six months you'll be fine. That is often the case....initially. I have been fighting it for forty eight years. Too often doctors don't even look for it.
God's speed to you Michael, member of the club no one wants to be in.
Veronica, Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research member.

Gingersnap

I am so sorry to hear about Mr Duncans passing. Loved the movie ' The Green Mile" and the part that he played in it. I will miss him. Rest in peace, sir.

Kathleen

Could NEVER forget his smile....Michael Clarke Duncan you will be missed! A word to the list...This man was awesome so please dont disgrace his memory with negativity. My prayers go out to his fiance and family. God Bless! <><
IICorinthians 5:6-8 >6Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 7(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 8We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments