« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MLB Star

I'm SORRY

For Anti-Gay Message

9/18/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

091812_escobar_launchToronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar has just apologized for displaying a homophobic message ON HIS FACE during a recent game ... telling his fans, "honestly, I’m sorry."

29-year-old Escobar was hit with a 3 game suspension for decorating his eye black patches with the Spanish word for f**got" -- which he wore during Saturday's game against Boston (below).

Yunel Escobar's eye black with a gay slur.Moments ago, Escobar addressed the media ... and explained, "I feel bad, I’m leaving my team for something I didn’t intend to do. I have nothing against the gay community and honestly I’m sorry."

He claimed, "It was just a joke and it wasn’t directed to anyone in particular."

Escobar says the phrase has a different meaning in Spanish ... but when asked to clarify what it meant to him or why he wrote it ... he couldn't come up with a real answer.

Escobar will forfeit his salary for the games he will miss -- with portions of the money reportedly going to GLAAD ... a powerful gay rights organization.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

I'm A Lawyer

Pendejo.

sonny

1st? Maybe??

JDUB

He has a man's body but the brain of a 12 year old apparently.

Honeys Booboo

Seems like ya can't call a Spade a Spade these days.

Latoya's Headband

Its like saying " you are a wetback"! Which would cause all sorts of problems in the latin commuminty.

Jim in Cali

This guy was a clown in Atlanta. Has talent but a two cent head. MLB should have suspended longer than the Blue Jays did. Total embarrassment to the game and the Blue Jays organization

MISERABLE66

GLADD is a bully org. People cant say or do anything! Its funny in spanish! Geez!!

FlaFlaFlooieMamaMonkeyTaTaToothyToY'all

How do you "unintentionally " write words on your face?

tgrfan42069

have and ***gots or ***got supports ever apologized for calling people who dont agree with their lifestyle choice names? you bet your ass they dont.this country has turned into nothing but a bunch of *******

Eli7798

What's the world coming to when a bunch of gays and lesbians are telling you what you can and can't say??? Maricon!Maricon!Maricon!Maricon!!!!!!!! This is America and if you have the right to take one up the butt I have the right to call you a Maricon!

sidithers

Maybe he was decscribing himself

DopeLikeCoke

When I went to Ireland last year, a complete stranger walked up to me and asked if he could bum a f-a-g. I smiled from ear to ear after getting what he was asking for. A cigarette. It was a bundle of sticks and cigarettes before it became derogatory. I suggest maybe lightening up a tad. Maybe.

Wendy

what. an. idiot. i speak spanish and this fool knew what he was doing. and he didn't even write it correctly...it's "eres" not "ere." bozo.

HRH Prince Michael

Not unlike the Middle Eastern radicals attempting to conform - or nullify- OUR U.S. Constitution, to
fit their own self-serving agenda, GLADD is truly
oblivious: GOD sees EVERYTHING.

20Twelve:
Daniel Twelve;1 is HERE,
Proverbs Twelve;7 is NOW,
Zechariah Twelve;8 is NOW,
St. Mark Twelve;36 is NOW,
Psalm2;012 is NOW:
The Most Blessed Christ King Yeshua reigns!
ALL, for The Greater Glory of The True and Living Yahweh!

Wendy

freedom of speech is not the issue here. i don't care what he says on his own time. when you're on the job you're not being paid to express a personal opinion. just like i can't call people slurs at my job. bam.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments