« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MLB Star

I'm SORRY

For Anti-Gay Message

9/18/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

091812_escobar_launchToronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar has just apologized for displaying a homophobic message ON HIS FACE during a recent game ... telling his fans, "honestly, I’m sorry."

29-year-old Escobar was hit with a 3 game suspension for decorating his eye black patches with the Spanish word for f**got" -- which he wore during Saturday's game against Boston (below).

Yunel Escobar's eye black with a gay slur.Moments ago, Escobar addressed the media ... and explained, "I feel bad, I’m leaving my team for something I didn’t intend to do. I have nothing against the gay community and honestly I’m sorry."

He claimed, "It was just a joke and it wasn’t directed to anyone in particular."

Escobar says the phrase has a different meaning in Spanish ... but when asked to clarify what it meant to him or why he wrote it ... he couldn't come up with a real answer.

Escobar will forfeit his salary for the games he will miss -- with portions of the money reportedly going to GLAAD ... a powerful gay rights organization.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

HRH Prince Michael

@Latoya's Headband: It's nothing like the bigoted statement which you alluded to earlier.

A Latino, Irish, Native-American, German, nor ANY other individual, had absolutely no choice of
their ethnicity. Inarguably, the LAMEST and most inaccurate of equations.

jetfanglo

! ELOHSSA

Oh A 💛💋

Maybe that was his way of coming out .....

BW

How can gay people be so sensitive
and they take it in the buttholey

Emma

What a dumb dumb

Flyboy

Based off his behavior during the press conference, Escobar is clearly an uneducated idiot at best, so let's take that into account for why he did what he did. I was offended until the press conference, and then I realized this guy is simply a dumb jock and the suspension is good. Hopefully he and others learn something from this.

Thomas Jefferson

Stupid and even more stupid that he gives money to some organization that has nothing to do with MLB.

Elle-Vee

Has he no brain? I would ban him for MUCH longer. He is a disgrace not only to himself but to his team. Grow up mother trucker!

HRH Prince Michael

@Mike: Firstly, thank-you for your respectful reply.

Let be real: The pleasures of "The Flesh" are both very powerful and very deceptive. In the 70's, there
was a really cheesy slogan which simply stated:
"If it feels good do it." Sadly, the grain-of-Truth within that statement, could apply to ANY number of physical-pleasures.

Mike, agree or disagree: We are the ONLY Creatures -in all of Creation- with the true Freedom of Choice. Further, The Almighty Creator DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES.
While, Nature and more-likely chemicals can contribute to certain aberrations, -if you will-
as Human-Beings, -again- our inherent Freedom of Choice, prevails.

Mike, be blessed.

Calinative

Why would he do something like that. It's just stupid. I don't think he's really sorry. If he was he would have never have written that stupid message on his face.

Jesse

Someone said it's "eres" not "ere", that's true for Mexicans, but Cubans, Venezuelans, etc talk in that particular way, not really completing the word.

Donna

I'm pretty sure that douchebag means the same in both languages

DaveT

He's telling the truth.
Calling a heterosexual person maricon in Spanish is exactly the same as calling a heterosexual person a fa-got in English.....not intended as a gay slur.
Do people really think he would risk his career by purposely putting a gay slur on his face?
I'm all for gay rights but this is an overblown reaction to something that's not anti-gay.

caligirl

I thought we were past this sort of thing. Look at what we still have to overcome: bit.ly/Rq6DnW

MoBea

Sorry? He painted his face before playing in front of thousands of fans and the Game being televised across the Nation. Somebody should have made him piss in a cup.