« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MLB Star

I'm SORRY

For Anti-Gay Message

9/18/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

091812_escobar_launchToronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar has just apologized for displaying a homophobic message ON HIS FACE during a recent game ... telling his fans, "honestly, I’m sorry."

29-year-old Escobar was hit with a 3 game suspension for decorating his eye black patches with the Spanish word for f**got" -- which he wore during Saturday's game against Boston (below).

Yunel Escobar's eye black with a gay slur.Moments ago, Escobar addressed the media ... and explained, "I feel bad, I’m leaving my team for something I didn’t intend to do. I have nothing against the gay community and honestly I’m sorry."

He claimed, "It was just a joke and it wasn’t directed to anyone in particular."

Escobar says the phrase has a different meaning in Spanish ... but when asked to clarify what it meant to him or why he wrote it ... he couldn't come up with a real answer.

Escobar will forfeit his salary for the games he will miss -- with portions of the money reportedly going to GLAAD ... a powerful gay rights organization.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

caligirl

I thought we were past this sort of thing. look at what we still have to overcome bit.ly/Rq6DnW

Phishie from Philly

Does he have an uncle named Pablo?
Phishie from Philly

kinla

if this was a bad word against the Spanish community all hell would break loose tho! It would be like another trayvon martin case! but this fool just apologizes and its over?

arale norimaki

People who accuse others of being gay are often covering up their own latent homosexuality.

PaulS

"I didn't intend to do it." Really? You DID do it. Idiot.

The Neko Nation

We support Yunel Escobar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message is paid for by the KEEP GERBILS SAFE FOUDATION

The truthbetold

I think that it's GREAT that they are holding this non educated fool responsible for saying something so nasty. The scary thing is that the people who agree with them on this story is probably racist and bigots as well.

Barrack Romney

**** GLAAD and their ***got members

Dan

GLAAD is only a "powerful gay rights organization" because people allow themselves to be intimidated or guilted into apologizing when they say or do something that GLAAD doesn't like. A homo can take it up the a$$ but they can't take words? Gomme a break. I use to not care either way about gay people but I have got so sick of these thin skinned whiny crybabies

jj

who cares?? Pinche maricones making a big deal over nothing.

~♥~

Gay is NOT excepted in the eyes of of our LORD! AMEN.!

Dino

Another Dumb Ass !

oink

Did he drop the soap in the shower ?

hypOcrite

Isn't this the same MLB with teams named the Indians and the Yankees?... i'm thinking the same people who got pissed off at this are the same people that i hear complaining about those tebagger rednecks.... after all, its ok for me to call you names, but don't call me any....but really... lighten up... its just words people... they only hurt you if you let them

Gabe

Sucks that in this country people can't say or do what they want; because somebody always gets offended.