« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Alex Karras

Dead at 77

10/10/2012 7:34 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1010_alex_karras_article_AP_dead_dies
NFL great Alex Karras -- who also played Mongo in "Blazing Saddles" -- died this morning after suffering kidney failure ... this according to a family spokesperson.

Karras had been battling a myriad of illnesses over the past 2 years, including kidney disease, heart disease, stomach cancer and dementia.

Karras was a punishing defensive superstar on the Detroit Lions from 1958 to 1970 ... before breaking out in Hollywood.

Besides "Blazing Saddles," Karras also had a starring role on the '80s sitcom "Webster"

He was 77.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Keifus E Mathews

Sorry for your lost Susan...You and your family are in my prayers....R.I.P. ALEX...sigh* " candygram for mongo!!

Throwback kid

Alex was geat in 1984's Against All Odds, a film that didn't do well at the time but almost 30 years later really captures that whole 1980's scene, the clothes, music, and me,me attitude.RIP Sulley, you will be missed

samsun

I didn't like the punching of the horse in that scene. The horse looked terrified lying on the ground.

grumpiestoldman

Mongo only pawn... in game of life

There's a problem here

Of all of his achievements I recall Mongo best (sorry Alex). God bless him, he lived to 77 and his passing is notable. RIP Mongo.

nyc44th

a shame . . . seemed like a decent / good guy. Had a nice wife as well who obviously loved him and he her.

ShrinkWrap

When I was a kid living in Michigan, I went to school with and played with his kids. Yes, he was a great football player and actor, but he abandoned his first wife and 5 kids for another woman and an acting career. He caused so much pain in those kid's lives for selfish gain. Can't say that I am sad to see him go.

niles

Oh no, we loved you Big Guy. RIP.

Cirrus Unicus

Mongo sad....

If sense were common everyone would have it.

He's the only man I'd let punch out my horse. My condolences to his faily.

knowledgeispower

I hope that MR.KARRAS'S family and friends can see/read the comments & condolences being left on the internet. Mr. Karras made a true impression on many generation with his athletic and acting talents. As a kid fro the 80's, I wanted to leave this condolence: RIP Poppa (George) Papadapolis!

CriticXtreme

RIP.

knowledgeispower

I hope Mr. Karras's family and friends get a chance to read the comments left all over the internet to see how much he influenced/affected many generations of fans with sports/acting talents! Rest in Peace ALEX/Poppa (George) Papadapolis!

King Beef

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

King Beef

Aww... Somebody beat me to it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments