Aurora Massacre Victims

Splitting $5 Million

in Donations

10/15/2012 10:08 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1015_james_holmes_mugshot_article
The families of the 12 people killed in the Aurora shooting massacre -- along with several people who suffered permanent injuries in the attack -- will split the majority of the $5 million in donations raised to assist the victims of the attack.

A mediator tasked with dividing the funds has announced the above-mentioned people will split 70% of the funds -- roughly $200k each.

The mediator says the rest of the cash will go to people who suffered physical injuries -- the more severe the injury, the more money they will receive.

Aside from the 12 people killed, 58 people were wounded in the July 20 shooting in Aurora, CO.

The mediator says ... due to limited funds, none of the money will go toward people who did not require overnight hospitalization ... and the cash will NOT be used to aid theater-goers who were physically unharmed, but claim they suffer from mental trauma.

As for the shooter James Holmes, he's still in custody facing murder charges.

Rhubino

See people? Sometimes faces of evil look utterly moronic.

King Anton

It looks like the prison therapy is working wonders on this lowlife

Wow ...

I'm sorry, but the donations are there for the victims, all victims. How can they exclude anyone? I understand some will have more medical bills, that is fine. But to exclude those who suffer mental anguish, is just wrong. It was and remains a major tragedy. It changed their lives forever.

gamepro

thats good that their trying to help the victims of that horrible night but it doesn't bring back all the people gone and all the pain they went through and anything that james holmes gets coming to him wont be good enough and i just hope the people from that night can go back to having a normal life

LDB

When are these people going to stop pulling on everyones heart strings just to get an easy handout?

TMP

I think that it's great they are trying to help but how and who determines WHO is deserving of the money? There were a lot of people there that night and even though some of them didn't get phyically injured, there are those that were there that have mental scars from what happened. I'm not sure why they get money (that's not meant to sound mean, I just don't understand why they are getting money) but at the same time, again, who determines which handful of victims is "worthy" of the donations?

Indy

He looks about as crazy as a person can get. I would hate to be his attorney and have to sit next to him.

Ace

Seems fair. It should not be about the money, but in the end it might just be?

Spicy mag

What about the people that didn't get to see the motive? It was awesome. Can't they get a bluRay or something.

DOC

If I had any amount of money and this happened to my family I would gladly exchange all wealth to have my loved one(s) back. I am sure this is true for most. I am not trying to diminish the efforts of those who contributed to the fund. I am simply stating that no amount of money can replace a loved one and that these feelings should also never be diminished by those of us who are not enduring such tragedy.

hmmm

So, what I am getting from this is that some injuries are valid and that mental trauma is not real and does not require financial assistance or therapy. The emotionally traumatized victims ought to just suck it up and get over it. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks that this is wrong. Have we not yet established that events like this can cause severe PTSD and that PTSD is a very real and valid illness requiring months of expensive therapy?

KristinaLA

is there a website where people can still donate?

Cheryl A.

What can they do for the families of those who were killed other then paying their funeral expenses? How do you compute a persons "worth"?

Will

Really happy for the families, but is there any way you can stop reporting on this horrible crime?? This publicity is exactly what this "pop culture psycho" wannabe was aiming for and continuing to talk about him is giving him what he wants. Please ignore him until the verdict!!

Throwback kid

Joe Biden had that same crazed look on his face during the debate

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments