'Dallas' Star Larry Hagman

Dead at 81

11/24/2012 5:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1123_larry-hagman
Actor Larry Hagman -- best known as the conniving J.R. Ewing on "Dallas" -- has died at age 81.

Hagman died in a Dallas hospital at 4:20 pm Friday, due to complications from a recent battle with cancer ... according to local reports.

The actor's family released a statement shortly afterwards, saying "He was surrounded by loved ones when he passed. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for."

Hagman also starred in "I Dream of Jeannie" but was most famous for playing the iconic villain J.R. in the 1980's drama "Dallas" -- and recently reprised the same role on the TNT version ... which launched earlier this year (below).

He is survived by his two children.

Really

It will be hard watching the new season of Dallas that starts in January knowing he's gone now. I don't know how many appearances he made on this next season but I will enjoy every one of them...as always! Thanks for some great entertainment...RIP!

Melissa B

Aw this is sad! I am 26 so too young to watch the show, but it was so legendary even I knew about it. Very sad. May he RIP and condolences to his family, friends, fans & anyone else affected by his passing.

khaines

WHY NOT LINDSAY LOHAN< PLEASE TAKE THAT WHORE INSTEAD???

Regina

this is VERY sad news. I hope that the new Dallas continues but it won't be the same. RIP Larry, you gave us a lot of years of entertainment and laughs. Nobody can be JR but you!!!! Condolences to his family and friends and co workers.

Toallthehatersoftheworld

Rip I remember watching him as a kid on Dallas.jr was the man on that show I'm sure he had a good life

LISA

I'll miss you Major! I loved watching him on TV. My condolences to your family, friends and other fans.

Maria

Lets stop stop confusing Larry Hagman with the scripted characters he portrayed. He was an actor but he was also human and he was the first to admit that all his life he smoked too much and drank too much and when he was given a second chance ; yes; very possibly because he was "J. R. Ewing"; and rich; he said he would change his ways. Admittedly he did stop smoking but never stopped drinking. That being said its hard for anyone to lose a loved one and I feel bad for his survivors; but he was not Major Nelson, or J. R. Ewing, he was human and made so bad choices in his life; choices that may have caused someone more deserving of an opportunity to receive an organ that may have prolonged their lives. May he rest in peace.

peniguel bernadette

en france, JR EWING a fait parti de notre vie depuis 1982 avec DALLAS il fait un peu parti de notre famille et nous avons beaucoup de souvenir avec cette serie que nous avons beaucoup appreciee je presente mes sinceres condoleances a son epouse et a ses enfants et petits enfants "la mort n est pas une fin mais un commencement" amities

alisemaria

I'm going to be in denial over this for a long time.

thestupid

Ride on cowboy

Tina M. Cutler

Tina M. Cutler

WOW it's sad to hear about his passing . I enjoyed watching him on the I dream of Jeannie, then on Dallas . I would like to say to his family, relatives, friends that I'm sorry for their loss of Larry, I'm surprised to hear good things from people saying about Larry, about who he really is as being Larry, I know how people feel to lost their love ones from cancer because my father had die from lung, bone cancer in 2007 of March, it really stucks in a big time for anyone who have cancer, where are you now . since yesterday has wave good bye ..... Rest in peace Larry. From Tina M. Cutler as TinaCutler519@aol.com

Tina M. Cutler

Tina M. Cutler

myopinion

RIP...I remember him from I dream of Jeanie and Dallas he will be missed but not forgotten