Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

kells

Who even asked Spike what he thought? Not relevant... Someone needs some attention.

pattycakes not to be confused with pattycake

This is awesome! Happy Christmas! Now I'm gonna watch utube with my cat.

lucy

I won't be seeing this movie. All it does is glorify racism on BOTH sides at a time when the POTUS is an African American and is working so hard to bring us together. anything for a buck....

gkfjr

My brother Mr.Spike Lee do you really believe anyone is going too listen too you over our anncestors.....pardon me but we do a good enough job misrepresenting on our own w/o the help of white folks or any other folk...no one mistreats us like we do ourselves and it,s as if the civil rights movement went in complete vain over the way many of our people act in our communities across this country....even after such events as a two term african american president.....many of us too whom know the truth about our people will take NO initiative too get jobs, create businesses, remain faithful too one woman, love our children, opps did I fail too mention black on black crime......who needs the KKK...they can retire.....yes I know the truth hurts but enough sermons already.....that,s just me.

pjd

There were Black-owned plantations w/their own slaves. No movies about that - doesn't fit in the hate White people, trendy, Hollywood/NY group-think.
Blacks need to thank all the Union soldiers who fought against slavery. Many lost their lives, were maimed and/or health.

sterlingguys

thing is spike lee is right. africa was raped of its people by the english, they took these people and brought them to the US to work and be sold as slaves.i don't know what tarantino's movie is all about but if its truthful what is spike moaning about

Ben

My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.
-------------------------------------------------------

Hey Spike it is a well known fact that the Blacks in Africa pulled them and sold them.

Bob L

Spike Lee is the biggest racist I have ever seen. I truly despise him.

zrod

Sorry Spike you promote slavery when you were Nikes and blood diamonds.... You lose the argument on this one

felicia

Im and i am not supporting this movie it makes a mockery out of slavert. Slavy was real and horrible. Spike lee i know you mean good but you cant down somebody if they use the n word if you say it. I hate any n word

BB not bb

Spite Lee is what he is.

felicia

Im black i ment

Andrea

So, he hasn't seen it. Has no intention of seeing it but KNOWS that it is disrespects the ancestors?

I am so sick of Spike Lee attacking any director, who dares to produce profitable work that people actually want to see! Get over yourself Spike and make a movie that someone actually wants to see for a change!

(P)

A black friend once showed me a pic of his great-great-granddaddy... a white slave owner. Blew my mind. He had no hate nor resentment cuz without that history, he never would have existed.

felicia