Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

dp213

The funny thing is Spike has enough money to move back to Africa but refuses cause he rather sit court side at a basketball game

LISA

I think they're both a little cray cray. They should just bitch slap it out and be done with it!

woodin

much to do about nothing. Years ago he had issues with Woopie Goldberg over her wearing colored contact lenses........

As for the N word, it's commonly spoken among blacks.....so really whats his point?

missicissi

From the mouth of the king of racism....

Dee_Bee

There seem to be a lot of bright folks out there trying to make a distinction between slaves being "stolen" and slaves being "sold". If your child were taken by someone and then sold as a sex slave by another, is he/she any less "stolen" from you just because money changed hands? SMH at some of these idiots.

Truth

Spike Lee has ALWAYS been jealous of QT. Always.

Shane!

And Spike Lee's movies aren't disrespectful to white people?!?

Tmzsucks

There would be no controversy if QT was black. Spike is just jealous that white people make better movies about black people, sorry Tyler perry.

TatumMarie

I don’t believe that the film DJango Unchained is insulting ancestors or blacks who were slaves; however I do feel that the individuals trying to defend the film here are. Apparently there seems to be some confusion about what the word “stolen” means. Slaves were taken from their homes (against their free will) and made to work for whites because American and European laws allowed this. Not only were they kidnapped, but for centuries treated as lower beings or animals with no rights. This was due to a system that was put in process by whites, not trader blacks who were desperate.

Back to the comment Spike Lee made, I think he should have watched the film first before he spoke about it.

Sally

Spike it is entertainment - you should know that. Relax. NOthing personal

spectator72

It's only a movie

Bellaca

Spike's jealous he didn't direct it.

o.s.

They fill up prisons cause racist cops want them there.Remember when cocaine got less time than crack? They knew whites used coke and blacks

o.s.

Used crack.so Crack got more time in lrisons.AMAZING!!!

Buck Runner

My question is why is there so much hatred towards blacks here? Funny, I'm looking around, I don't see ANY racist remarks from any other race BUT whites. Hmmmmm......strange.