Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

KnuckleDragger

Hey! You know what, Spike? Your last name is Lee, Chinese...not some African name like Matoomba. STFU!

virgosiempre

Spike, time to grow up. First off slaves were sold by their own people to the British, French, Dutch. I am of Irish descent and my ancestors were not even sold but taken by force to live in Haiti and other countries, Italy, Spain and wherever their kidnappers wanted them. They were raped, abused and slaves but when weren't there heinous acts of inhumanity in the world. Geez, bible had slaves, Romans were barbarians, Egygtians forget about it, should I go on. Americans are the whiniest group of people. The movie is about history. A history brought to this continent by the British and Dutch. We own it and have made far more progress than much older nations in Africa, Middle east and Far East. Grow upp. History isn't always sunshine and flowers, it sucks, it's also heroic, moments of shame and pride. Irish NEVER dwell on being taken with force from Ireland but Americans never let it go. Their African ancestors got paid, dwell on that and I love your work and KNicks spirit.....time for you to evolve emotionally. I will watch it, feel disgust and never forget the shame of such behavior. They should watch it in the sky in Africa and Middle East where little evolving has taken place in oldest civilizations.

Ty

If proof is needed to prove that 4% of blacks sold their own, references are also need that black africans sold their own into slavery, but either way blacks were slaves for 400 years and whites, used, killed and raped them, what difference does it make who sold them, you ignorant morons.The majority of whites are still very ignorant, racist and insecure it is disgusting the only reason some voted for a biracial president is because they did not want to loss their homes, jobs and be in the soup line.

amy

Django Unchained supervising art director and hardcore Republican facing trial in March for sexual battery, libel, intentional infliction of emotional distress and malicious prosecution of LA Music Award winning transgender singer Bralalalala. The director is being represented by his co defendant attorney girlfriend Yolanda Marsili.

amy

Django Unchained supervising art director and hardcore Republican David Klassen facing trial in March for sexual battery, libel, intentional infliction of emotional distress and malicious prosecution of LA Music Award winning transgender singer Bralalalala. The director is being represented by his co defendant attorney girlfriend Yolanda Marsili.

Meh..

The same azz who made every one from Brooklyn look like a WOP, Dago, and Guinea,. pizz off Spike

anya2u

LMAO I can hear the "N - word" spoken ten times as much, by black themselves, just by hopping on a city bus after school lets out and taking a ten minute ride.

Tweeder

They weren't stolen they were sold and by who you ask your ancestors spike lee get in touch with history

Sasha

People forget that the jews once an opressed group were big benefactors and contributors to the african slave trade. So i dont understand how jews can tell blacks to get over it! Especially when if you say anything about a jew your automatically labeled an anti semitic... like give me a break!!

LindsayLohan

I farted. Merry Christmas.

Sasha

As for the movie i like Samuel L and Leonardo but i wont go see it... I'll wait till it's on demand!

keratoconus209

It's always fun watching foolish liberals go after each other! Isn't it just "art"?

CANDICE_L

Go away Spike Lee....

amy

Spike doesnt like the fakeness of the portrayal..leave it at that. Excessive violence portrayed as a real story cartooned like the directors real life perhaps

John Tiller

Spike needs a history lesson his ancestors were sold by his ancestors