Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

mike spallone

**** spike lee he's a has been...

roger harris

spike is a racist all his movies are about blacks

Michael

This rednecks comment just further makes you understand why white's can't stand Spike Lee. An honest, thought provoking brotha that goes against the status quo. That's the reason you guys love Oprah and Michael Jordan so much. Cause they're non threatening ass kissers. Keep up the good fight Spike out speak for all the brothas whose voices cannot be heard!

Debra

screw spike lee...its ok for him to use the n word in his films as long as its him doing it...quentin did'nt make a movie about slavery dumb ass...he made a movie using a slave as a major hero in the movie...try and see the film first before critizing it d-bag

Harold Linton

Stop hating and participate. QT does his thing,so Do the Right Thing. Tell the truth and Bring Hope Alive. So many stories to be told.Nothing good since Red Tails

Rastus

lets put a stop to this "Disrespecting madness"

mario

**** spike lee in his ass, all his movies are racist. And he's a ******** that nobody gives a **** about

Djingo Jango

Spike who?

Malcolm Aaron

Africans were sold by other Africans during the slave trades, but most of them were stolen from their homes by these Africans.

joe

Thank God we have freedom of speech and if Spike doesn't want to see it who the hell cares?

Gaelid

While we on the subject, let's go after Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles. I find that movie way more offensive. At least in this one, the slaves are kicking ass and taking names of slave owners. That should be a good thing right. The N word was uttered in Blazing Saddles just for the fun of it not like in Django where it was common in the Deep South to call African Americans that. Not that I condone the use of the word anyway but while we are at it, let's not go after one person, let's get all of them who use that word in film. Oh I forgot though since he is Spike Lee, it's ok for him to use it in his films.

Doug Robert

Spike Lee has always been a racist. Spike Lee's entire career is built upon racism.

Bruce Lee

If the Africans were not brought to North America Spike Lee will stil be in Congo working for the militias abusing the starving people

MySelf

SPIKE ... WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK. Do Something Positive Instead of Negative.

Patton303

Spike. If you actually ever made a good movie, people would care. So suck it.

Previous 15 Comments | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments