Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Melody

RJ@ Africans did not sell their people to the Europeans and Portueguse amongst other nations that always had African Slaves, with Latin countries have the most slaves to date in history. That is why we have black latins in latin countries. When Europeans came to get labor or free labor. The African kings lend out the captured soliders of opposite tribes, in a war over land. It was a barrowed time and Europeans were suppose to return the servants on a time period. That did not happen. So there we have Africans transported on very country known to mankind as free labor! Black people did not sell our people to white or non black nations!..know your history!

Bob

Nobody cares what Spike Lee said 10 years ago, nobody cares what Spike Lee says now!

Bob

Melody

Gildo9@ African Americans in the generations after slavery may not have been slaves themselves. But, it's the respect and honor to our people that we shall never forget! nor allow the world to forget! we as a black people have survived, moved on and still never
forget those who paved the way and our still paving the way! I could use poltitical reference to what I know is "institutional racism against black people today by America. If you look carefully a form of "slavery" is still here. But, my point is life is too short to contuine uneccessary excuses! I feel Spike needs to make his version of African Ancestors plight. But, I don't support his "ongoings" and complaints about the expression of other film makers point of views! he needs to grow up!

CCM1970

This is all coming from a man who posted the address of an innocent elderly couple in the Trayvon case and who was trying to incite MORE violence by doing so. Is he just pissed he didn't think of the idea for the movie first? or is he a "Double Standard" troll who thinks only he can say who says the "N" word or not? He needs to realize Mr. Tarantino most obviously does NOT care. Hater.

Naw meen?

Since you were stolen or taken from Africa by force, it's never too late to return to your native country.

andchovious

I ain't white either,but u know what's racist? BET

Kendra R

Everyone on here making a comment about race, WE all are filthy rags in the eyes of God. So when judgment day comes all the hate and bitterness that you have in your heart will cause you to lift your eyes up in hell, so you should get on your knees and pray for deliverance. How can you love God but hate your brother that you see everyday?? Spike is entitled to his own opinion just like Quentin is entitled to direct his movie as he pleases.

Buck Runner

Note to angry white people. YOU voted 60/40 for Mitt Romney and LOST!!!! ALL OTHER races voted at least 75/25 for Barack Obama and WON! You have 30 days to pack yer sh** and get the f*** out of OUR COUNTRY. I hear Norway is lovely this time of year. Go shoot up schools in YOUR OWN country. Buh bye. ROFLMAO.

Kendra R

EVeryone on here making a comment about race, we all are filthy rags in the eyes of God. How can you love God a man that you never seen but hate your brother that you see everyday. God looks at the heart not at skin. So I suggest that you lift up a prayer before you lift your eyes up in hell for walking around with hate, bitterness, unforgiveness, and jealousy in your heart. Spike is entitled to his own opinion and Quentin is entitled to direct his movie as he please!

joe

spike lee is a little troll rACIST WHO IS JEALOUS THAT HE'S TO SHORT AND UN TALENTED TO PLAY PRO BASKETBALL , SO HE MAKES RACIST MOVIES AND CALLS EVERY WHITE PERSON A "RACIST" I WOULD SO LIKE TO GET THAT LITTLE UGLY GIRLY MAN IN THE CAGE AND BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA HIM !! LITTLE ***GOT NO GOOD SUB-HUMAN RACIST HE IS !

Amanda

I guess Spike Lee doesn't know the real truths about his 'ancestors'...that blacks sold their own into slavery as well! Not just the whites (of all countries). Quit being a whiney baby! And...what gave it away that there's something wrong with Tarantino..?!?!? That's what makes some of his movies so brilliant!

Jay Burton

Is Spike an Activist or a Filmmaker?

Buck Runner

For ALL of you angry white posters, America is a black and brown country! It's OURS you punks!!! Get the f*** out if

you're so angry, go shoot up malls and schools in Norway, Demark or Findland if you want to live in a white country. Quit

yer damned blubbering and simpering about the black and brown and Muslim people are scaring you. Like I said, if we scare

you.....GET THE F*** OUT of OUR COUNTRY!!! ROFLMAO, punks!

Buck Runner

All I hear in these comments is whining and crying by spoiled baby white people who can't take the FACT that their WHITE country is no longer WHITE.........boooo hoooo hooooo I'm sowwy that the USA is no longer a white country. Boo hoo. Idiots!

Previous 15 Comments | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments