Spike Lee

RIPS 'DJANGO'

Movie Is 'Disrespectful to My Ancestors'

12/24/2012 9:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1224-spike-lee-quentin-tarantino
Spike Lee says he REFUSES to see Quentin Tarantino's new flick, "Django Unchained" when it opens tomorrow ... claiming the slavery-revenge movie is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

Lee first went off on "Django" during an interview with Vibe Magazine ... when he was asked for his thoughts on the subject matter and gave the following response:

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it ... All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me ... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

He later tweeted about the movie -- "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them."

"Django" -- which stars Jamie Foxx as a slave who kills slave-owners in the Deep South -- has been drenched in controversy for weeks ... with some critics upset that the n-word is uttered more than 110 times during the movie.

Back in 1997,Lee told the media he had problem with Tarantino's "excessive use of the n-word" in the movie "Jackie Brown." Lee explained, "Let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Ian Kyle Kelly

"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves, Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them."
Your so called ancestors were sold into slavery by other so called ancestors so which one are you going to honor?
Also, why is it okay for you to call black people a derogatory name but a white person cannot? What a hypocrite.
This is why I will never watch or support this racist a$$ hat’s movies.

Richard

I really dont think anyone cares about what Spike Lee thinks about anything. I mean, come on man! Spike, just relax. Its a movie ok? Just a movie. Perhaps you have forgotten yourself. Or maybe you should just go to another basketball game and act like you being there actualy means something.

Rich C

Spike Lee is one of the most racist people I know.

Buck Runner

All I hear in these comments is whining and crying by spoiled baby white people who can't take the FACT that their WHITE country is no longer WHITE.........boooo hoooo hooooo I'm sowwy that the USA is no longer a white country. Boo hoo. Idiots!

Buck Runner

Note to angry white people. YOU voted 60/40 for Mitt Romney and LOST!!!! ALL OTHER races voted at least 75/25 for Barack Obama and WON! You have 30 days to pack yer sh** and get the f*** out of OUR COUNTRY. I hear Norway is lovely this time of year. Go shoot up schools in YOUR OWN country. Buh bye. ROFLMAO.

Dybnaps

If I want to see a movie on slavery, I will watch roots. If i want to watch a holiday, wam, bam, thank you maam, action movie, than I will see a Quinton T movie. I don''t think the audiences were coming out on Christmas to see a heavy subject matter film. That's for another day.

And did Spike Lee become relevant again, or ever was?

Rocketmissile

Spike Lee is a bigger racist than Jamie Foxx. What a Jackwagon!

katnsam

Hey Spike, did you ever think you might have some white ancestors? You are a jerk. I am so done with that slavery thing. We didn't own any.

ekaye

however, any response on Quentin Tarantino's part will be a bunch of kiss ass remarks about Spike and his movies and his 'talent' for directing.

katnsam

Hey Spike, ever think you have white ancestors? You are a jerk. I am so done with this slavery thing and no we don't own any.

Buck Runner

Dybnaps WTF RU talking about "our" white man's money? What money do YOU have? Squat. This country is a diverse black/brown country. The Mexicans don't wanna fight with blacks or Asians or Native Americans or Muslims, but white people do. By my calculations, you guys are the only ones who need to pack anything and leave. All of the other races stood unified on election day, you guys were the odd ones out.

Said

Racist is racist ....you cant explain that to them spike.......you see they wouldnt play your movie confederate states of america ......and they didnt honor Denzel for Malcolm or Hurricane ......they used trainin day....If you did a movie on the recent school shooting and called The Clensing.....the sequel to The Happening.....folx would flip......but thats the only way they would understand the point of view......now instead reading this for the merit,lets see who focused on the format.

Said

Krystal

Spike Who?.....He is just "hating". What is Spike's recent movie? ....... Can't recall either (lol)

Lighter Shade of Brown

"Grey is grey, black is black, I want my baby back, oh oh, what can i do, cuz i i i i i, i'm feeling blue."
Everyone is different shades of brown, there is no black, no white, no yellow. Slavery has been done with for decades. There are still some racist out there that either need to be shot or just let **** go. Why people use things that they've never experienced just to receive what they believe the world "owes" them, I'll never understand. Haven't we all gone through enough personal pain?
@shutthe****up #growthe****up

Previous 15 Comments | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments