Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Areader

Matt Lauer should of considered the repercussions before he threw Ann Curry under the bus!

Ray

karma trains a coming

Sandra

Can't stand this guy and it looks like karma has struck!! He needs to be replaced!! I no longer watch Today because of him! Good Morning America works for me!!!

patty

Hey Pinochio Nose.... it's called Karma and you are now paying for all the crap you talk behind people's back's. FIRE HIS ASS, he is worthless ....
LOVE GMA!!!

Toallthehatersoftheworld

NBC should of been let him go clearly he is the problem

hihat

Good -- it's about time ordinary Americans -- yes, even Manhattanites! -- start shaming folks like Lauer for making obscene amounts of money and crying while the rest of us are bleeding, wondering how we're going to live on what little we make. Poor baby!

Michelle

Haha, Matt, it's called Karma, and I love that it's coming for you! That goodbye to Ann was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. She deserved so much more than she got after her loyalty to your show. I only wish that I was in New York this winter, so I could yell at you as well!!!!!!!!!

patty

I cannot handle looking at Rat Face. Have you seen his wife? YIKES, YUK... The two uglies deserve each other!!! FIRE HIM

CLK18

Today show is stale, and Matt is part of that problem. Can't stand Roker. Couldn't stand Ann. I switched to GMA a long time ago!

Aliciagarcia

Simple to fix he's problem Get Matt out Bring Ann back in he's job since she can do better

Pookie

Poor Matt. He can always go back to being a gardener which is what he was before he got this cush gig. What a jerk. This creep is so horrible to live with his wife starves herself into a skelaton.

Carl

Poor Matt, he really knows hard times, doesn't he? He has to put up with people being big old meanies and only gets $25 million/year as compensation.

shiker

this "all of sudden" reported wining has JZ written all over it. Matt's trying to find an excuse to leave to go be with ZNN.
Wonder if he complains regarding public treatment could he get out of his contract easier than if he wanted to just quit??

self-employed

You reap what you sow, Mr. Lauer. You are not as important as you think.

Rudolph

I stopped watching the show because of this whole thing...F#%# Matt...I used to like watching the show and now I watch something else...My girlfriend and I used to like watching Ann Curry!!