Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Me Too

As much as I'd like to believe this story, the only part I believe is that people have yelled at him or at least addressed his douchbag ways. Other than that, he couldn't care less- he's a rat faced, ugly, arrogant, boring, nasty person all the way around. He doesn't need to care. I really wish he would just go away...preferably to another country.

skatehobo

Woo woo woo you know it

Judy

The show is boring. They look at each other like they don't even like one another. I now watch GMA which I love. But every once in a while I do switch to the Today Show just to see what is going on. But I quickly turn back to GMA they seem to like one another. You need to change the cast of the Today Show and find a cast that really like each other. Or find a different show to put on at that time.

AlwaysOnTimeB

...and we should feel sorry for the enormous paycheck he is receiving for being an arrogant A-hole? I don't feel any pity for him AT ALL!! If he can't deal with it, he shouldn't dish it out! Ann didn't deserve what he did to her.

Meme Jones

Finally a story I love!!!!

leila12

It is his fault. Now he feels guilty for what he did. Arrogant jerk payback is a bitch now his getting what he deserves

Pittslady

I would not miss this DUDE if he retired..and just went away..I would not ask
"Where IS Matt Lauer?"
I would say
"who IS Matt Lauer?"

error

exactly... vote with your tv. i started watching good morning america after he got Ann fired.... oh, and Amy Robach is super hot!

Marie

NBC Brass have an option. Dump him like they did to Ann Curry. Laurer is a looser. will not watch TODAY. I hear their ratings are falling. Time to retire Matt.

Onijuan

Wtf is he crying about hes getting 25million. I would let People could call me what ever they want for 25mil.

airses1

I haven't watched the show since he disrespected Anne Curry. He is really a loser!

Melissa

I'd yell at him too. I like Ann. He's overrated, and overpaid. I think Ann is a fine journalist, I enjoyed watching her both on Today, and Dateline. NBC made a dumb choice.

Ibby

I don't enjoy watching Matt Lauer anymore. I will watch again if they change him for David Gregory.

mrmomsuperstar

Karma's a bitch!

Slash

BAH! He was absolutely right. Ann was a HORRIBLE host from day one. The show is MUCH better now with Savannah!